liquid coming out of hens mouth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by avanderhule, Aug 4, 2011.

1. avanderhule

avanderhule Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Phoenix
    Hey! I just recently got 11 new hens (now referred to as flock #2) and am currently quarantining them from my existing flock of 6 (flock #1). Problems:

1) 2 hens (flock #2) are laying soft or shell-less eggs. Have found one from each. I read it was sometimes due to a move, and they have only been here a week today. I am blaming that, but open to suggestions.

2) 3 of them do the stretching of the neck with an open mouth about 4 times a week (of course that I see). 1 of the 4 is from flock #1 and also sneezes When this happens, their eyes look okay, and they don't seem to be in distress, but is this movement always Gapeworm? We live in AZ and I am used to them panting, so I'm familiar with how that looks...

3) 1 of flock #1 and 1 of the flock #2 will lean forward as to forage, and liquid will come from their mouths. Sometimes it is after they have had a drink, sometimes not. I couldn't find a definitive answer on BYC.

#4) All in flock #1 pretty much always have runny poop. It is hardly ever solid enough to collect (for compost of course) except for some at night. I have never seen worms of any kind in the poop, but I can't imaging they get too much greens and seeds and protein since that is what they would eat in the wild. Do wild chickens have soft poop? Just found my next google search! If I don't feed them pre-packaged feed is it going to be as solid?

#5) I have just completed my second bout of lethargic, death-bed chicken with success, but am stumped! The last time was about 3 weeks ago when my gorgeous, huge Delaware hen-turned rooster [​IMG] (guess that's why 'she' was mammoth) was at first just slow and weird, and within an hour, completely limp all over. I put him in a small dog carrier and syringed him water at first then raw cream. Long story short, in 24 hrs. he was good as gold and bumbling around as usual! Same thing happened yesterday with an Ameraucana. She didn't get as bad cause I started the regimen earlier with her, and within 12 hrs. much better and at 24 hrs. released. I thought the first time he had gotten stung by a scorpion, and it could have happened again, but otherwise, I can't tell.

#6) Lastly, why do a few of my hens (both flocks) just decide to plop over on their side, in the sun, on the rocks and lay there for like 3-6 minutes? Does this give them extra VIT D for good eggs? It's weird and I used to get nervous, but now I watch and they don't stay long.

What I am doing now:

I have started garlic water for de-worming as well as chopped garlic in leftovers since I figure it's good for them anyway. I already give them raw cream and milk once or twice a week as a probiotic delicacy, and they all get very nice, homemade chicken feed as well as extra kitchen goodies. Nothing packaged or processed, ever.

Of course their water is always clean...changed out twice a day...at least. They also have a wading pool to keep them cool since it is so hot right now.

Sorry such a long post, but hopefully it helps someone else someday:)! Thanks guys!

2. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Heat stress will cause them to have some runny poo. Occassional sneezes could be clearing their sinuses of dirt etc. As for shelless eggs, some hens have a problem and lay them. Genetic, can't fix. Do you offer free choice calcium? Again, could be stress related. As for stretching their neck and 'gaping', mine will occassionally do that. Some might suggest gapeworm, but if you don't see lethargy or weight loss, I wouldn't worry about gape worm. Sounds like you will be watching and waiting for awhile. My husband says I'm obsessive because I will become hypervigelant over the slightest difference in behaviour. I've had many a sleepless night worring over the very things you have mentioned. My only advice would be to keep watching, and offer free choice calcium. Good Luck!!

3. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    #6) Lastly, why do a few of my hens (both flocks) just decide to plop over on their side, in the sun, on the rocks and lay there for like 3-6 minutes? Does this give them extra VIT D for good eggs? It's weird and I used to get nervous, but now I watch and they don't stay long.

They are just hanging out! My baby chicks do it right now and my other hens did it... maybe they are trying to work on that tan of theirs [​IMG]

4. avanderhule

avanderhule Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Phoenix
    Thanks guys! I do offer free choice oyster shells as well as their egg shells dried and crushed for their dry food mix.
    Plus all of the other dark leafy greens add calcium, but yes, thanks for that! Also, glad they are just resting:), they are so funny!

Today, I found another shell-less egg but it's so hard to know which one it is. If I knew I would take her aside for a day or 2 and spend time babying her and getting to know her. 11 hens is a lot of hens, and when several are skiddish, it makes it hard to get to know them!

I just love them! I hope they regulate soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by