Liquid coming out of my hen's beak??

KittyKat7

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 8, 2014
When my dad picked up one of our chickens earlier today, a bunch of clear liquid poured out of her beak. It seemed to be odorless, and had a slight yellowish tint. It happened again a few hours later to me, although not as much, and just recently happened again, for the third time, when my mother picked her up. The liquid is much more than a beakful, so it isn't just water coming out of her beak after drinking. We let our chickens roam outside of the coop in the backyard during the day, and for the three or four hours that they have been out, this hen has been standing in the grass, not doing anything. She normally is a fairly nervous bird, and usually runs away when we try to pick her up, but today she has had no reaction and we are able to pick her up, pet her, and carry her without a problem. Does anyone know what is wrong with her? Also, should we be separating her from the other chickens?

Hi and welcome to BYC.

I'm sorry you are having trouble with your girl. I would first separate her from the rest of the flock for her protection and theirs. Next, make sure she has plenty of clean water and food available and watch her. Look for signs that she is eating, drinking, pooping, breathing normally, etc. Is her comb or face pale? Is she walking with a limp? Is she laying? Is she sitting around all fluffed up? The answers need to be posted in the emergency section so people can help you decide what to do. Good luck!

Thank you, Wisher1000. I've reposted this topic in Emergencies, with the answers to the questions that you asked.

Back
Top Bottom