liquid plant food put on plants that the chickens can get to-is this..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gale65, Aug 1, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

ok? I got some of that powder that you add to water to feed plants. It's like the miracle gro in a box only it's not miracle gro brand. It's some generic looking brand. It's ok to use on vegetable gardens. I wasn't sure about using it on dirt where the chickens have access? I can't imagine that people with free ranging chickens never use this kind of plant food somewhere in their yard but thought I should make sure others haven't had problems with it.

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, you know I am real careful with any type of chemical around my hens, But I apply the fertilizer and then keep them away from it, for a watering or two so it is diluted good. But that's me. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  3. gale65

I can try to put it on really carefully so it stays in the area they can't reach (I need to water a tree that is protected by some chicken wire but it is in the run) but a little may run off. I'll be using it at half strength. The tree will also get watered probably daily until it's established.

4. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    http://www.scotts.com/smg/learn/infoHowToArticle.jsp?detailId=1000004

I
    found this on the Miracle-Gro questions...you should check whatever product you used label and make sure that they say safe around pets and children and then procede accordingly.

I do know that I've fed green beans and squash and such that was watered regularly with Miracle Gro Instant and they did just fine but I sure would double check what you used to be sure.

5. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I think your using common sense and if they cant get in the run off you will be fine. [​IMG]

6. gale65

Here is a site that has the safety info only I'm not sure how to read it.
    http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=19020082
    Is this info for the full strength (like right out of the bag) or diluted? I would put 1.5 teaspoons into a gallon of water for the tree. The only thing that shows any risk that I can figure out is the 1 score on health, with zero being the lowest. But again, not sure if this is straight from the box. I'm guessing it would be since there are several formulas on the box depending on the situation.

7. gale65

Quote:I think your using common sense and if they cant get in the run off you will be fine. [​IMG]

That's just it-if it runs off into the run they can get into it. I could probably throw some scratch on the other end and then kick dirt over it or something but then there's grass in the run so maybe not. I may just try to be ultra careful... it's not easy to get right up to it since it's fenced off. I'll be watering it from outside the run through the fence...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by