Liquid Poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bertgwen, Jan 2, 2015.

1. bertgwen

bertgwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2014
    Southern Wisconsin
    Been going on for over a month now. Took some time to figure out who it was. All others are very normal. Have wormed with Safeguard, and just finished a five day stint on Corrid. Both treatments through entire flock of seven.

Picture below on sand, two or three feet below roost site. Frozen solid.

20ish week old bird, otherwise healthy, acting normal, eating fine. Have seen no evidence of worms, mites, etc. At least to my untrained eye. Nothing to give me any indication of what to do next. No other changes in timeframe in question. Her and a sister were the last birds introduced to the flock (back in October).

[​IMG]

Any thoughts, I'm at a loss.

robert

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Worming with Safeguard for just one day is not very effective against capillary worms. Not Saying the problem is capillary worms, just that it could be, The Safeguard dose I use for capillary worms is 0.23 ml per pound for 5 days. That amount is based in what I have read in veterinary books and studies.

Probably best to take a really fresh poop sample to a vet and have them check it for worm eggs, coccidia, bacteria and yeast. Any vet is qualified to do it.

-Kathy

3. bertgwen

Jun 17, 2014
    Southern Wisconsin
    I guess I wasn't clear. I did do a five day stint on both the Safeguard and the Corrid.

robert

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Did you give 0.23 ml per pound orally?

-Kathy

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Give her buttermilk mixed with scrambled egg to eat for several days. Hopefully it'll clear up the liquidy poop.

6. bertgwen

Jun 17, 2014
    Southern Wisconsin
    I was dosing at 1/4 ml per day based on what i read on BYC previously. I missed the "per pound" part. Should i start over on the Safeguard, she's around 4-5 lbs.

I did give buttermilk a try for about three days, mixed it with eggs or oatmeal. Then the kids made pancakes, no more buttermilk.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she were mine and I wanted to rule out capillary worms I would give a five pound hen 1.14 ml five days in a row (50 mg/kg). 1/4 ml for a five pound bird is only 11 mg/kg.

This is from a hen that capillary worm and coccidia confirmed by fecal exam:
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by