liquid poop!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thewildbunch, Feb 23, 2015.

1. thewildbunch

thewildbunch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2014
    I have noticed recently that a couple of our hens have liquid poop...and by that, I mean, almost like water liquid poop! I've kept an eye on them and there are no other symptoms that I can determine. They are eating well, have plenty of energy, still laying eggs, not losing weight, etc. We wormed our flock in December with a full spectrum wormer, so I'm puzzled by this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Try some probiotics?

Did you repeat the wormer to break the life cycle of the worms? I repeat my wormer at 10 days. When I use Rooster Booster wormer in the feed as per label, I just keep going with it for a good while until I feel they are OK- don't remember exactly how long I did it for but it worked.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  3. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Loose stool is very common with birds.It can mean something,but often it doesn't.You may wanna check for mites,or lice.

4. thewildbunch

Sep 19, 2014
    we did repeat the wormer and have used Rooster Booster in the past, but we have a very difficult time finding it. Our local Tractor Supply doesn't carry it! We will give the probiotics a try. thanks

5. thewildbunch

Sep 19, 2014
    Will do. We have several "dusting areas" with DE in them, and sprinkle it into the nesting boxes every time we clean them out, but that might not be doing the trick. If not, what's the best way to treat for mites?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What wormer did you use?

-Kathy

7. thewildbunch

Sep 19, 2014
    We used a liquid goat wormer dosed according to directions we received on this site.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I'm gonna guess that you gave 1/2 cc once, then again ten days later. That dose will treat roundworms, and *maybe* cecal worms, but it will not treat capillary worms. Can you take a fresh poo sample to the vet?

The treatment I use based on the recommendation of a vet is 0.23ml per pound for five consecutive days. That's 1.15ml for a five pound chicken, but probably okay to use just 1ml per 5 pounds.

-Kathy

9. thewildbunch

Sep 19, 2014
    Thanks Kathy. You are correct about our dosing. We have been unable to find a vet in our area that has any expertise/desire to treat chickens, so we are somewhat on our own and depend on the good advice we get here. We have almost 50 hens, and these few are the only ones with this issue. I don't want anything to spread throughout the flock though. Do you think it will hurt anything to retreat at the higher dosage?

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    With the iffy ones I would give them a thorough exam, get a baseline wight using a digital kitchen scale and I'd re-worm them with the higher dose for five days. I'm not saying that your hens have worms, just that they might. Other possibilities are coccidiosis (yes, even older hens can get it), bacterial infection, fungal infection, disease or a combination of things.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by