Liquid Rennet question

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by FloridaChickenChick, Jul 22, 2008.

1. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    So the liquid rennet bottle says the rennet must be diluted 20:1 in cool non-chlorinated water. Then it says 1/2 tsp sets 2 gallons of milk in about 45 minutes.

Is that 1/2 tsp DILUTED or full strength? I've e-mailed the folks who sold it to me but haven't heard back yet.

If it's diluted rennet, then I guess I need to get an eyedropper! [​IMG] Of course, the good news then would be I'll not have to order rennet again this decade.

2. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Do not dilute-I use (for motz) 1/8 tsp and add 19 more of water

3. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    Okay, I'm not trying to be stupid but perhaps my brain is on vacation.

You use 1/8 tsp rennet and 2 3/8 tsp water? So it's diluted, right? and you've got 2 1/2 tsp of rennet/water mix?

I thought this was going to be fun...no one told me there was MATH involved! And fractions at that! [​IMG]

I'll just have to experiment, I guess.

Thanks, Banter! Have you made any other cheeses or just mozarella?

4. prairiegirl

prairiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    Quote:I am beginning to feel the same way. Not only is there math involved, but it's a science! I didn't like either subject.LOL But, I keep trying as I've heard cheesemaking referred to as an art and that's something I can work with.

Anyway, I can't help with your math. I've canned green beans all day and my mind is in rest mode.
    But, I'll tell you what my recipe for mozzarella calls for. I use 1/4 tsp. liquid rennet mixed into 1/4 cup cool water. That's for 1 gallon of milk.

Good luck! Please let us know how it works out.

5. BowChickaBowMow

BowChickaBowMow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Quote:LOL! yeah, now you're all scarin' me from trying it! I picked up some rennet this weekend. I'm leery of trying! Guess I need to just jump right in!

I still need to find the right kind of milk though. The milk I get says "pasturized" but doesn't say ULTRA pasturized. Will it work, or no?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by