List of must have items to keep on hand ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sierra pachie bars, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    What would be items you always keep on hand ?

I have a large cabnet that I keep things like tweezers, towels ,Terramycin powder, and oinment also a jar of Fura-Zone.

2. Sulmet, Auromycin, Tetracycline, Terramycin eye ointment, Wazine, Lincomycin, Streptomycin, Sulfamethoxide, paper towels, syringes, tylosin, poly vi sol (no iron), medicine dropper, Vet Rx, Rubber Gloves, Leg identifiers, Sevin, Pine Shavings, Straw, Mineral/Vitamine/electrolytes, A auto 20 guage, Lots of poultry grain and clean water.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    antibiotic ointments..sterile gauze,bandage tape,vet wrap,quick-stop, thermometers(one for each species of animal i have..),scissors, blu-kote, eye flush, syringes,vaseline,electrolyte powder,home care emergency vet book,peroxide,betadine,rubbing alcohol, asprin,poly-vis-sol vitamins,terramycin eye ointment. But i need to get some antibiotics to have on hand..for just in case also..

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  4. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    Oh yes vet wrap always great to have. My daughter got a burn on her hand and I happend to have lots of vet wrap (cute pink with black hearts ) and it saved the day ~

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:yup..i love the stuff..and it really does work!..i was amazed...my goats and dogs bandages really stayed on good...loved it!

6. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    What a GREAT question!!!

The combined list ought to be available somewhere on this forum!!

7. WildBurroShirts.com

WildBurroShirts.com Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    Carson City, NV
    Quote:Great list. Do you buy all of that Wazine and stuff online? Our feedstore doesn't have most of that, unless it's in the cow section which I forget exists.

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    #1California Chick :

What a GREAT question!!!

The combined list ought to be available somewhere on this forum!!

There is one. We did it over the summer, but I don't think it's a sticky thread. Do a search for "medicine cabinet."​

9. WildBurroShirts.com :

Quote:Great list. Do you buy all of that Wazine and stuff online? Our feedstore doesn't have most of that, unless it's in the cow section which I forget exists.

The feed store here is great. I can get or order everything except the Sulfamethoxide which I get from the vet supplier here in town.

This is a farming community, so there are alot of resources.

I do not usually get the tylosin. I have some from a friend that they had left over. I use the Vet Rx, the Wazine, the mineral/vitamine/electrolytes and the poly vi sol the most. The antibiotics are there for very specific bacteria. I usually let the viral infections run thier course or cull. We also have mini horses that get treated with the antibiotics. The wife does this.​

10. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Antibiotic Ointments, Peroxide, Iodine, Alcohol, Qtips, Vaseline, Mineral oil, Vitamins/electrolytes, Terramycin, Corrid, Citric acid, Vet Rx, Sulfedine, Measuring spoons, Pitcher with Measurements, Measuring cup, rubber Gloves, Beak Trimmers, Toe nail clippers, Pine Tar, Permethrin, Adams spray, DE, Hand Sanitizer, Exacto Knife, Pens and Permanent Markers, Zip Ties, Cedar shaveings, Straw.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by