1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

List of supplies needed.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Southern28Chick, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I get my goats in 7 weeks. I'm making a list of what I need.

First I'm going to email the breeder and find out what feed they use and stock up on the same about a week before I bring them home.

I'm also going to find a hay supplier near me. Not going to be hard, I think there's one about 3 miles away.

Then I need:

1.) To build a manger (hay feeder)
    2.) Get a salt block
    a hoof cutter
    dewormer
    minerals (would a mineral block be ok?)
    first aid kit (what should I have on hand?)

What am I missing?

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    You don't want a salt block - you want loose minerals intended for goats specifically. We prefer a meat goat builder mineral product because it has higher copper. Salt is included in these minerals...so you don't need both.

We use side cut wire cutters instead of traditional hoof cutters...for the minis, the 'real' cutters are too big.

General first aid kit would be the same for any livestock...self adhesive bandages, gauze, ointment, Fural/Blue Kote, betadine scrub and solution...

The medicine chest is a subject all in of itself...too much to get into here.

Exciting, huh?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by