List Your Top 3 Mistakes............

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ma, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    Being a person that has always learned more from my mistakes than from my accomplishments, I thought this would be an interesting querry.

What, if you had to make a list, are your top 3 mistakes you made in raising your chickens?

Or, things you would never do again?

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Top 3 mistakes.......

1.) raising them in the house despite all the warnings from people saying how messy/dusty it will be.

2.) Not getting silkies with my original order. I had them on order and changed it because i was told they were too much work by someone that never had a chicken in her life [​IMG] I LOVE MY SILKIES!!!!!

3.) Not having the coop built when we got the chickens, thinking we had plenty of time [​IMG]

4.) Not building it big enough........you will always need more room and want more chickens [​IMG]

3. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    I the one who learns from her mistakes [​IMG]

1. Dont give 9 week old chicks acsess to a 6 in kitty pool. one got drowned. :mad:

2. Letting broody hen's set on 25 egg. guess what the all hatched !! :eek:

3.Getting so many chickens / other poultry tha we are having to clear out another acre. [​IMG]

4. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    1. Incubating eggs instead of ordering chicks, takes too long and I dont have the patience.

2. Not being able to go back in time and make sure my brother wasn't born [​IMG] .

3. Not loving my chickens enough when they were babys.

5. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    My top three mistakes.

1) going to the feed store to LOOK only when a friend told me about the cute turken chicks.

2) Believing a friend when she said she was NOT going to bring me any chicks on a trip over.

3) Not listening to my husband when I told him we needed to have PLENTY of room for our original 2 chicks. He said we would end up getting more because of all the room.

Seriously...
    1) raising them in the house. As Lurky said, Oh the DUST!
    2) getting too many too fast. I should have gotten 2 or 3 new ones per year.
    3) not listening when people told me not to let them in the garden.

6. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    1 a. Not taking the threat of an active fox in my area seriously enough. I lost 26 five weeks old chicks in one night.
    1 b. Not having a coop that would withstand a hungry fox.

2. Having my husband make a brooder that is bigger and fancier than most homes in my area. Of course, a tupperware container or a kid's pool would have been easier, cheaper and wouldn't have the "design flaws" that newbie chicken owners don't think of when they build something they've never seen before. [​IMG]

3. I can't think of 3., but it will happen sooner or later. [​IMG]

7. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    1. Not getting chickens soon
    2. see above
    3. see above

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    1) Not being born wealthy, and staying that way.

2) Not having chickens until almost mid life. [​IMG]

3) See # 1

9. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

1.Getting chicks before a coop was even thought of.

2. Getting more chicks with the coop still not completed (almost done.)

3. Not telling DH that I was even thinking about bringing chicks home in the first place.... well, maybe that should have been #1 [​IMG]

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

My biggest was not realizing that raccoons like chicken over barrel tipping any night of the week.
    2. Leaving a $20 bill still in your birthday card, and having Obelisk in the house...I'm still waiting for change.
    3. Not realizing how much I could love a bunch of birds.
    4. I shoulda gotten chickens, then maybe gotten married...the birds are so much easier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by