Listen to the mockingbird

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by stilldeb, Jul 10, 2011.

1. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    We have this very noisy mockingbird that goes through his entire repertoire of sounds all day long and into the evening. He can even imitate a hawk, although it doesn't fool my chickens, and they ignore him.

Today, just as we were leaving to go grocery shopping, we saw the mockingbird jumping and flying up and down in the back yard. Turns out he was beating the heck out of a snake that was trying to head toward my chicken coops. My husband caught up with it and 'relocated' it, but the way that mockingbird was beating it up, I don't know if it would have made it across the yard anyway!

deb g

2. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Good job, Mockingbird! I know a lot of people don't like mockingbirds, but I always enjoy hearing them, even if it is 2 in the morning. There is just something hopeful and cheerful about them.

3. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Score one for Mockingbirds! I love those birds, we have quite a few around here, and I love listening to them. Ours imitates a siren, cardinals, and woody woodpecker among others.

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] I love to hear the mockingbirds sing, it's like listening to jazz!

5. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    He thought he was the rooster.[​IMG]

6. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    We have one that does the phone ringing. Seriously annoying, but funny. [​IMG]

7. ~KH~

~KH~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Southern CA
    We don't have mockingbirds here, but we have magpies that will regularly alert when there are cats in the yard. I heard one loudly scolding something right outside my window, and sure enough, there was a cat prowling around my patio.

8. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    There's one around here that starts in around midnight...sounds lovely to my ears but not to some others...I tell them to be glad he doesn't crow, lol.

Glad your MB was on guard! [​IMG]

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I love having Mockingbirds around, they attack any and all predators that are the same predators that go after chickens. Blue Jays have my vote too, Brown Thrashers arnt too bad neither.

10. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I always listen to the birds, I know exactly what is around, and where it is. Like the "free range" neighborhood cats that chicken watch, I know when they're close by thanks to the birds. Hawks too, anything flying. The chickens make noise over airplanes, but the song birds don't. So, I listen for the song birds to know if it's really something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by