LISTEN to your kids!!!

SandraMort

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
ny
Dh and I were removing the hulls from black walnuts this afternoon outside the mud room. The toddler came out and demanded "What that smell?" which I assumed was the two birds living in there for now, so I didn't pay attention.

A little while later, I went inside and was greeted with the smell of smoke. Their heat light had fallen down and landed on wood shavings. I'm guessing the only reason they didn't catch on fire was that it was near their water dish and slightly damp, so they scorched and smoked, but didn't blaze up.

I apologized to him for not paying attention and removed the now broken (and really not necessary) heat light

(edited to fix a missing word)

Last edited:

debilorrah

The Great Guru of Yap
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
The Carpal Tunnel Rehab Center
Kids are more observant than we give them credit for. Lesson: Mount your lights SECURELY. It took us forever to get them mounted right and this story is one reason why everyone should. Thank God everything was ok!

SandraMort

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
ny
That's what I thought at first, but the base of the light was *still attached*. Somehow, it snapped in half and the dome and lightbulb fell, leaving the clip mounted on the side of the dog crate (holding nothing).

Quote:

Chicabee19

Songster
11 Years
Aug 8, 2008
n/a
OMG! I KNOW!

I am soooo glad nobody was hurt.

We were having a 'family conference' in the living room some years ago.

I smelled something but didn't think anything of it because our neighbor burns in his fireplace nightly in the winter.

Our oldest boy walked over to lounge in the doorway to the baby's bedroom while we were talking.

Suddenly he straightened up, pointed into the room and yelled "the baby's room is on fire!"

My DH and I looked at him, I rolled my eyes and said "good one", DH said "we're having a serious talk here, can you give it up?"

He yelled "NO, I really mean it! It's on fire!"

It was.

gumpsgirl

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia
Holy moley! Glad to hear everything ended up being okay. What a smart little toddler!

wendy

On the Hill
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
central louisiana
glad everything was okay and a good lesson for us all.

my 3 year old son is good at letting us know if our 2 year old is getting into things. i guess some might call it tattle telling but i don't when most of the times it saves from a mess or a disaster

wendy

Top Bottom