LISTEN to your kids!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by SandraMort, Sep 27, 2008.

1. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Dh and I were removing the hulls from black walnuts this afternoon outside the mud room. The toddler came out and demanded "What that smell?" which I assumed was the two birds living in there for now, so I didn't pay attention.

A little while later, I went inside and was greeted with the smell of smoke. Their heat light had fallen down and landed on wood shavings. I'm guessing the only reason they didn't catch on fire was that it was near their water dish and slightly damp, so they scorched and smoked, but didn't blaze up.

I apologized to him for not paying attention and removed the now broken (and really not necessary) heat light

(edited to fix a missing word)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ...[​IMG]....close call!!..so glad everything was okay!...Wendy

3. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

wow that was a close one. Thank goodness they were wet

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Kids are more observant than we give them credit for. Lesson: Mount your lights SECURELY. It took us forever to get them mounted right and this story is one reason why everyone should. Thank God everything was ok!

5. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Your toddler has a good nose ...glad all is well.

6. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    That's what I thought at first, but the base of the light was *still attached*. Somehow, it snapped in half and the dome and lightbulb fell, leaving the clip mounted on the side of the dog crate (holding nothing).

Quote:

7. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    OMG! I KNOW!

I am soooo glad nobody was hurt.

We were having a 'family conference' in the living room some years ago.

I smelled something but didn't think anything of it because our neighbor burns in his fireplace nightly in the winter.

Our oldest boy walked over to lounge in the doorway to the baby's bedroom while we were talking.

Suddenly he straightened up, pointed into the room and yelled "the baby's room is on fire!"

My DH and I looked at him, I rolled my eyes and said "good one", DH said "we're having a serious talk here, can you give it up?"

He yelled "NO, I really mean it! It's on fire!"

It was.

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Holy moley! Glad to hear everything ended up being okay. What a smart little toddler! [​IMG]

9. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    glad everything was okay and a good lesson for us all.

my 3 year old son is good at letting us know if our 2 year old is getting into things. i guess some might call it tattle telling but i don't when most of the times it saves from a mess or a disaster [​IMG]

wendy

10. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Quote:YOU GOT THAT RIGHT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by