listing to the side and peddeling feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Takuhn, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Takuhn

Takuhn New Egg

Aug 20, 2013
    Hello
    I’m new to chicken keeping and just got a batch of Ameracuna cross chicks about 4 weeks ago. they have been fine until recently i have lost 2 and a third is sick with what I think is Mycotoxin poisoning. The symptoms are, drooping wings then listing to one side fallowed by laying on the side and peddling the feet and then death all of this takes about 30 hours. I have cleaned the coop/brooder that i keep them in and washed all the feeder and watering bowls as well as checked the feed and bedding for moldy smell or clumping and found nothing. I have recently switched to cedar shavings for their bedding does anyone know if this is ok for chicks, mostly I am hoping for some advice on a plan of action to help prevent further losses.
    Thank you all

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Cedar will kill chickens of all ages. Change your bedding.

3. Takuhn

Takuhn New Egg

Aug 20, 2013
    Why didn't anyone tell me this at the feed store where i got it i was very vocal about the fact that it was for my new chicks. Thank you i will do that right now.

4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Read this and you'll understand:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/311026/tractor-supply-employee-knowledge-about-chicks

Not many farm stores know much about what they sell. I use Valbazen for preventive de-worming on free range birds. Every time I buy it I get this even from local farm supply stores:

Them: Thats for goats and sheep you can't use it on chickens because it doesn't say so.
    Me: It's the best one for chickens, it covers everything.
    Them: But how do you know it works on chickens?
    Me: Because I researched it and have used it before
    Them: You can't believe what you read on the internet...see it doesn't say chicken.
    Me: Just order it, I already know the dosage.

There are many stories on here about what the supply stores don't know and were not trained in.

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Cedar shavings are most likely the problem. Get rid of the cedar, and get some pine or aspen shavings instead. Feed store people are not always the most accurate when it comes to the care of chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by