Listless 16-week old hen with droopy eyelids and pale skin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bettylouplus4, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Bettylouplus4

Bettylouplus4 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    I am an 11-year-old owner of five backyard chickens. This morning when I let them out of their coop to free range, one was very listless. She sat right outside the door with her eyes closed. I examined her and noticed her eyelids were droopy and puffy and her skin around them is pale. I put her in her own box in the garage with food and water. Does anyone know what might be wrong with her? She is a Plymouth Barred Rock hen, age 16 weeks. There is no blood in her poop. The other hens seem fine. I did not notice anything was wrong with her yesterday. Her name is Betty Lou and she is my very favorite. She likes to sit on my shoulder and go in our climbing tree with me. pleas help.[​IMG]

2. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    give her a protein boost and watch her a bit. If you have any eggs around scrambled them up. Also make sure that she is drinking. Check her crop to see if it has food in it (just feel her chest on her right side you should feel the bump but dont squeeze. She may also need baby vitamins. Your parents can pick these up at the drugstore its called Poly-visol. A few drops in her water will help too. Just watch her for a bit she should be ok [​IMG]

3. Bettylouplus4

Aug 16, 2011
    Thank you! I gave her the scrambled egg and there is food in the crop, but how can I get her to drink?[​IMG]
    Again thank you so much![​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  4. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    She should drink on her own but if she doesnt you may need to get a water dropper and open her beack and give her some, but that is pretty extreme.

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:Generally when I see a young bird that is listless I immediately treat for cocci. Cocci does not always present with bloody stools. I would get some corid/amprolium from your feed store and treat your flock.

If the amprolium doesn't work, then you should consider mareks.

6. Bettylouplus4

Aug 16, 2011
    Thankyou too. I'll be trying that medicen! [​IMG]

7. Bettylouplus4

Aug 16, 2011
    also, could it be posible she has worms?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by