listless and inactive 3 day old pullet :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ericka, Jun 21, 2010.

1. ericka

ericka Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    arizona
    My 3 day old Wyandotte pullet is completely listless and inactive today. [​IMG] She is standing very still with her head drooping, her eyes closed with very little peeping. Her sister, who was purchased at the same time, is out and chasing the flock. I can feel that she's eaten a little this morning and I've helped her drink some water. Is there anything I can do to give her a better chance of making it? I don't want to lose this beautiful little bird. *tear*

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Sorry you're little one isn't doing well. Have you noticed any blood in her poop? What are you feeding her?

Aside from those questions, when I have a weak little one I do these things:

1) Poly-Vit-Sol (without added iron) baby vitamins: couple of drops on the side of her beak, a couple times a day (you can find them at pretty much any pharmacy, drug store, wal-mart, etc)
    2) ACV in the water
    3) Make a hard boiled egg/plain yogurt/chick starter slurry and then very patiently try to get them to eat as much of it as you can by wiping a tiny dab on the corner of their beak and letting them lick it up.

It's very important to try and get them to drink/eat as much as possible, but be very careful not to force feed her, she can aspirate and die.

3. ericka

Jun 21, 2010
    arizona
    Thank you so much for your advice. I'm definitely going to run out and try your suggestions. The weird thing is she hasn't had any poops since I confined her about two hours ago. My birds are eating an organic starter from my local feed store.

4. NeeleysAVLChicks

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Hope she starts perking up for you! Keep an eye on her poop, if you aren't feeding medicated starter, if you see blood in her stool there's a good chance she may have Cocci. In that case you need to administer a round of Corrid or Sulmet immediately!

5. ericka

Jun 21, 2010
    arizona
    Should I change their feed to a medicated starter? I went back to check the basket and there is a small wet poopie with no sign of blood.

6. NeeleysAVLChicks

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Well, that's up to you, people do both. First, are these chicks from a hatchery? What bedding are you using? Have they been outside at all? They pick up cocci from microbes in dirt, so if they haven't been exposed to the great outdoors yet it's unlikely they've picked up Cocci, but its always a possibility.

Here's a good thread with some info about Cocci.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=318048&p=1

If she was a shipped chick, its just as likely she had a rough trip and is now dealing with the effects.

How's the little one doing?

Good luck!!

7. ericka

Jun 21, 2010
    arizona
    These chicks are from Pratts Pets in Glendale, Arizona but I don't know where they were hatched. I'm using TerrAmigo natural pine (small pellet type) bedding. They have been outside some but haven't been near any dirt at all (just on the grass and patio). She was active and bouncy the last two days but this morning there was a very noticeable change. Her condition hasn't changed. I'm distraught because I cant get anything from the store until after 6 when my husband gets home. Is there anything I can give her from my pantry? Honey? Could it be hypoglycemia? I don't know if birds get that. Her poops are very watery but normal other than that.

These are my first birds. I started with one chick 6 weeks ago and somehow ended up with six birds. I feel horribly guilty that I'm not experienced enough to help her.

8. ericka

Jun 21, 2010
    arizona
    She's dying. *sob* She wont get up.

9. ericka

Jun 21, 2010
    arizona
    I'm going to try honey as a last ditch effort. I dont know if it will help but I have to try something.

10. ericka

Jun 21, 2010
    arizona
    Sadly, it all happened too fast. She's at the end. With her rate of decline she will pass at any time. I'm trying to keep her comfortable for her last moments. Thanks for the suggestions. Apparently, I just suck at birds [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by