1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

listless bantam chicken spitting up slime, help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Spring Chook, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Spring Chook

Spring Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Topanga
    Hello, I'm new here and hoping you can help.
    I have a 2 year old Bantam, Talulah who is off her food, listless and spitting up slime. She also has a pooey bottom. She is very wild so difficult to catch so I havent checked her crop, though I'm not entirely sure what I'd be looking for anyway. She is usually a real character and first to the food. My other 2 batams and 4 hens are all fine. Any ideas wise chicken people?

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Is she still laying? (possibly eggbound?) Check her crop first thing in the morning and make sure it has gone down overnight. Check to see if it feels spongy, squishy or hard. Also bumping you up....

3. Spring Chook

Dec 29, 2009
    Topanga
    not laying, crop squishy, not eating. any thoughts? shes such a wonderful bantam.

4. janetk

janetk Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    might be sour crop? you can try searching for it here, or maybe someone else knows better.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    spitting up slime does sound like a crop thing. But I wouldn't know any more than that.

6. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
  7. Spring Chook

Dec 29, 2009
    Topanga
    thanks so much for your help everyone. I will try a bit of crop massage and maybe a flush. Not sure how she'll take this though, she's very wild and nervy. I will update later
    thanks again

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Try wrapping her in a towel, seems to calm them down

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Check your feed for any sign that it has ever been wet or has mold in it, too. If the crop feels "doughy" like one of those stress balls people squeeze in their palms, it may have a fungus set up from mold and quit working.

10. Spring Chook

Dec 29, 2009
    Topanga
    I went back to the coop last night, all braced to give Talulah a crop massage and flush, but to my surprise, she felt fine. The crop seemed empty. I've just fed them this morning and she came out of the coop looking reasonably perky and I saw her eat some mash. She even gave one of the hens a peck. She's not right, but perhaps she is getting better. Could it just have been a cold? thank you so much for your help everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by