Listless bantam rooster--lack of other symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheBantamPrevails, Nov 26, 2010.

1. TheBantamPrevails

TheBantamPrevails Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    Hi Folks,

I have a cochin bantam rooster, about 6 months old, so mature/young. He is usually active, scratching and hanging out in the run with the other 11 chickens. Yesterday he cozied up in the coop and wouldn't come out. I brought him inside and cleaned his feet in case it was a foot feather issue. (I have a sultan whose foot feather follicles get inflamed.) But after sitting for a while in the warm house, he was not feeling better.

He has food in his crop from yesterday, but has not eaten since then. He does not appear to be pooping at this point though there are some urates on his vent feathers. He is sleeping and very droopy. Deep breaths, about 20/minute. I can't tell if he is warm or cool.

Ideas about what is going on with him? The other 11 are plucky as ever.

Thanks.

2. TheBantamPrevails

Nov 26, 2010
    He doesn't appear to have sour crop. His crop is still full, but not hard or distended. He doesn't appear uncomfortable if I massage it. And no stinky burping.

3. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Was there any poison or rotten things he could have gotten to? Could you post pictures of him now? I hope your roo gets better! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  4. TheBantamPrevails

Nov 26, 2010
    I don't think so. He and the other chickens have a run and a nice dry coop. The house has been on this lot for a long time, so there are bits of debris that I am constantly picking up--glass, bits of shingles--but I really don't know if he's eaten anything. When I palpate his crop, it does not seem like it makes him uncomfortable. They eat crumble, scratch, and whatever scraps I put out, which included a bunch of rutabaga greens on Wednesday.

I will try to post a pic later in the day. He looks fine, just like he is sleeping in his ball of feathers. His feathers are still gorgeous.

5. PioneerPrincess

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    How does his head and comb look? Does he stand or just sit? What do his legs look/feel like? How do his eyes look?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  6. TheBantamPrevails

Nov 26, 2010
    His head and comb look fine. Bright red. His eyes are clear, though he closes them a lot to sleep.

Today I have put 1 cc of water down his throat at a time, a few times. When I went to check him just now, he had moved himself over 18 inches to drink out of the waterer. I have put nutri-drench and durmycin in the water. He is drinking quite a bit.

He does not seem paralyzed (botulism symptom) but his muscle response is slow. So, if he flaps his wing, he seems too tired to tuck it right back. His legs seem fine, though slow response if I extend one. But he definitely is not interested in standing up. He stood up once last night, after I cleaned his feet.

He is skinnier than all of my other breeds, under all of his feathers.

Ideas?

7. TheBantamPrevails

Nov 26, 2010
    Based on some other posts, I decided to treat my chicken for coccidiosis. I got some amprolium and have put it in his water.

He was very thirsty earlier, and between that and what I just put down his gullet, his crop is full and spongy. He hasn't really pooped, but did pass a tiny bit of mucusy white stuff, like urates in a bit of water.

http://fowlfacts.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=medshhh&action=display&thread=152

If he makes it to tomorrow afternoon, I can call a bird vet for advice. But he hasn't pooped yet, so I can't take a sample.

Can I give him duramycin at the same time?

8. PioneerPrincess

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    How is your rooster? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by