Listless chick - what to do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pequena Bandada, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    I received eight day-old chicks from MPC Tuesday. They all seemed healthy, but in the last 24 hours, one has become increasingly listless. She sits and sleeps more than the others, doesn't run up and down the brooder like the others, and doesn't seem to be eating (at least I haven't seen her eat anything today). Is there anything I can do for her? Or is this just nature?

2. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    You can give her polyvisol without iron (these are baby vitamins that can be purchased at a chain pharmacy) do a search on here for the right dosage. You can also try a little sugar in her water (not too much or for too long or it can cause pasty butt) and some cooked egg yolk. Is her bum pasting up? If so, you can use some warm water and mineral oil to remove the poo.

I am assuming that they have correct feed, that they are not on cedar bedding, and that they are warm enough?

Hope this helps.
    Jenny

3. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    Jenny - yes, they're on medicated chick starter, on pine shavings with paper towels over that, no pasty butt, and I have a 250 watt red heat lamp that seems to be keeping them all warm but not too hot. Thanks for the advice on vitamins, egg yolk and sugar in the water. I've started using a syringe to give her sugar water and vitamins, and I'll start some egg yolk soon. Wish me luck... this is an adorable little salmon faverolle that I really hope makes it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by