listless chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ruffledfeathers44, Mar 30, 2009.

1. ruffledfeathers44

ruffledfeathers44 New Egg

Mar 30, 2009
    Hi, I'm new here, hope I'm posting this in the right place. I have 4--2.5 week old chicks. 3 are active playing leaping, etc. Eating and drinking. The 4th, well she spends alot of time puffed up napping. Eats and drinks. But just not as rambunctious as the others. No other symptoms.
    Any ideas on what's wrong? Thanks--Ruff

2. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I have no idea..but you might try giving her some vitamins. You can give it baby vitamins (poly-vi-sol). I'm not sure of the amount so you might do a search. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  3. ruffledfeathers44

Mar 30, 2009
    Thanks for answering. I have them on vitamins and e-lytes. My DW made them hard boiled egg mixed with yogurt and a bit of olive oil, and some chick feed mixed in. She did eat that.

4. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Hi ruffledfeathers44 and [​IMG] It sounds like you're doing the right things. I have a few questions for you. Is her poop is normal? Any chance she has worms? How long have you had the chicks? Pretty much the entire 2.5 weeks? If so, have you noticed her eating the litter? was she like this when you got her? If not, when did she start acting lethargic?

5. DixieDame67

DixieDame67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Jonesbourgh Tennessee
    Hey Ruff, Welcome to BYC, you will find a wealth of information here and good folks to, now i generally ask more questions then i give advice hehe, but i have 17 chicks about a week old, i had one acted just like you said, crushed up egg in with starter feed, but got to noticing other day, pasty butts !!!!!! yep so you might wanna check there bums, i soaked about 5 of my chicks but that one lil poofy headed something was so lifeless but after two days of soaking tha butt, shes up and running now ......Dixie

6. ruffledfeathers44

Mar 30, 2009
    Quote:Hey, thanks for answering. I doubt she has worms, I mean she's only 2.5 weeks old.
    Her poop is firm. I have not noticed them eating shavings. I've noticed this since saturday.
    Do you think this could be coccidosis? I heard some strains don't have bloody stool.
    I'm really worried now cause she doesn't even run from my hand, just stands there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by