Listless chicken with closed eye

piahenzi

Hatching
Jul 15, 2016
My girl is about 10 months old/not yet a layer. For about a week now she has had one eye closed. We have checked and cannot see anything inside the eye that might be causing irritation. She is eating (although not with gusto) and her poops are normal. She is VERY unstable on her feet. Although I think that is because she is half blind, she doesn't seem very energetic. I have her quarantined indoors with food and water. I orally administered a few drops of VetRX to her last night and this morning just to help her a bit. I have Terramycin coming from Amazon on Monday on the hopes that will treat whatever infection she has in that eye...today the other eye seems to be a lot less "wide open" and alert. There is no discharge, her nose and beak are clear so I don't suspect she has a cold. No sneezing or other symptoms along that line. What am I dealing with?? She is clearly suffering and I am so bummed....

Welcome to BYC. Look at your coop conditions just to make sure that there is little dust, no ammonia odors that can cause eye ulcers and irritation, and has good overhead ventilation without direct drafts. The Terramycin is good, and you can use a warm compress or some human lubricant eye drops or saline to apply to her eye twice a day until it comes. Vetericyn eye wash or eye gel can be found at many feed stores and is food as well. Since she is having eye problems that could be the reason for her balance problems, but I would read a little about Mareks disease. I think that Mareks is not likely, but occasionally chickens may have a closed eye as one of the symptoms. Look for any bubbles or foam, or pus in the eye. Also if any other symptoms develop, let us know.

Her symptoms are similar to symptoms one of my hens had last year. One eye closed completely and was a little swollen, and the other eye wasn't perfectly healthy, either. No sneezing, wheezing, coughing, bubbling, etc. I suspected a mild respiratory infection or an eye infection and treated with Tylan200, given orally. After a few days of Tylan treatment, both eyes were open again. Unfortunately, the infection must have been resilient, since she developed the same symptoms two months later. At that point, I treated her the same way and the eyes recovered, though I think some permanent damage has been done and she may have reduced eyesight in the one eye that was closed most.

You can try the Terramycin, since you already have it ordered. If it doesn't work, though, I would recommend a stronger antibiotic like Tylan50 or Tylan200. Other than that, keep her in a warm, clean place, offer some poultry vitamins/electrolytes if possible, and encourage her to eat.

Thank you both! Coop conditions are good. All her 9 sisters and our roo are in fine condition so I do not suspect it is the coop conditions at this time. Everything is pretty ship shape here on that front. She is indoors with me now in the warmth with food and water, 2 doses of VetRX this weekend. Really hoping the Terramycin does it but will get the antibiotics from the local vet tomorrow to have it on hand. Really appreciate the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom