Listless cockerel, won't eat

rubyredder

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 15, 2014
Ohio
I have an 8 month old lav orp cockerel that hasn't been acting right for the past few days. He mainly stands hunched with his eyes closed and pays no mind to his hens. I attempted to give him scrambled eggs this evening and he refused them, when he normally scarfs them down. He is drinking plenty of water but is not eating. I felt his crop and it feels empty, its soft and squishy feeling, not tender. He has a bald spot on his neck where his feather have fallen out that has just shown up recently. I smelled his breath for sour crop,just in case, and there was no odor.

His droppings are sticky with white and green in it and I did notice in one there was some orange-tinged matter mixed in. I'm having a hard time finding something on here that fits him to treat him properly. I'm not sure if I should just go ahead and treat him Corid in case of coccidiosis or not. All my birds are on a worming rotation with safeguard and valbazen, receiving safeguard the beginning of November. He was dusted with permethrin powder the beginning of this month.

I've separated him and he has fresh water and food but is not interested. I'm really at a loss and I'm not sure what to do here. Please help!!!

Have you inspected his skin for signs of parasites since dusting him? If mites or lice are present, dusting needs to be repeated at 7-10 days intervals depending on what they have, along with coop cleanout and spraying. Corid(amprollium) is not harmful if coccidiosis could be a problem. Signs are puffing up, diarrhea, not eating, lethargy, ruffled feathers, and weakness. Blood in droppings can appear, bright red, pink, or orange. Blood does not have to be present in cocci. Sometimes crop will be puffy with cocci or other sickness, due to slow emptying.

Yes. He has no sign of any type of external parasite. I think I'm going to go ahead with the corid and I might give him a dose of valbazen a little early in case worms are the real problem. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom