Listless duckling, twitching legs.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KatDC, May 24, 2019.

1. KatDC

KatDC Hatching

May 24, 2019
    Hi all, I've been reading through the site for weeks in preparation for my hatch of Cayuga eggs - now I need help please!
    Duckling#2 hatched 5 hours ago with some assistance from me as it pipped over 48 hours ago (I could see it was weak, there was a crack all around egg but membrane was like glue) no bleeding when I assisted. She came out with umbilicus still thick, but yolk seemed absorbed. I left her attached to shell to finish by herself. She's just flopped, still not moving apart from what look like muscle spasms in her legs - they're really twitchy. I've tried a little sugar water in a dropper just now but she only accepted a drop. Feel like I'm loosing her, and duckling#1 is starting to peck at her. Is there anything else I can do??

Thanks in advance

chicken heven likes this.
  2. chicken heven

chicken heven Songster

Mar 5, 2018
    My Coop
    Keep her away from other ducks put a sock on her legs over night then take it off in the morning.

KatDC likes this.
  3. MagpieDucks

MagpieDucks Duck Addict

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Is the yolk fully absorbed yet? Go ahead and move duckling #1 to the brooder.

Do you have any poultry Nutri-Drench on hand? That can really help them get going.

Any more eggs left to hatch?

chicken heven and KatDC like this.
  4. KatDC

KatDC Hatching

May 24, 2019

Yes still 3 to go, have moved the other one to brooder and popped a dry cloth around this one. The yolk has all been absorbed (the cord is now dry so I've snipped it off) she's making small attempts at movement now.

Her head has dried to a crisp where she was so sticky

Currently googling where I can buy poultry drench at.... it's 7am here and I poster overnight!

Thank you so much for your replies x

MagpieDucks and chicken heven like this.
  5. KatDC

KatDC Hatching

May 24, 2019
    Ok so there's nowhere near to me that sells poultry drench, is there anything similar I can buy/create with things from chemist?

6. Quacksalot12

Quacksalot12 Chirping

Feb 19, 2016
    Maybe homemade electrolytes/watered down Gatorade???? I have never used nutri-drench before though so any other advice would be better than mine. I hope that this might help you though!

Homemade might be better if you decide to do electrolytes though since a flavored Gatorade might not be best....

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    chicken heven and KatDC like this.
  7. KatDC

KatDC Hatching

May 24, 2019
    What about raw yolk, do you think that might work? She's definitely livening up a little..... fingers crossed!

8. Quacksalot12

Quacksalot12 Chirping

Feb 19, 2016
    I don't know about raw yolk, since I have never tried that either, but I bet someone has posted about it on BYC.

Yay! Hope she continues to get better! :)

9. MagpieDucks

MagpieDucks Duck Addict

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I have seen some people use some for hatchlings. It can't seem to hurt.

When it is moving around a little more you can chop up some scrambled or boiled egg for it.

Quacksalot12 likes this.
  10. KatDC

KatDC Hatching

May 24, 2019
    I haven't figured out how to add photos yet but just to say I mixed the raw yolk with water to thin it and she lapped it up, now fluffy with bright eyes and on her legs....yay!

Egg #3 is now hatching out the wrong end so I'm having a glass of wine to calm the nerves. Despite the fact my nerves are shot, hatching ducklings is (with the exception of my children of course!) The best thing EVER!

Thanks for all the words of wisdom hive mind xx

MagpieDucks likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: