Listless Hen - Unable to Stand or Hold Head Up - Sudden

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lipazron, Mar 17, 2013.

1. lipazron

lipazron New Egg

May 11, 2011
    I would appreciate some help. We have had three hens and just added five Welsummers to our flock. On first day together, two of my others pecked at them but now all seem integrated (day 5). One welsummer is suddenly listless, unable to stand, hold body up or raise head. Eyes are closed. Am I going to lose her? Any suggested remedies? I have just separated her from the flock and am trying to feed her warm water, milk and a little sugar.

Introduced to new environment - none of my hens have had any ailments
    New hens have access to my other hen food - organic crumble

Help please.

Thanks.

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Don't feed milk or sugar. Check the crop to see if it feels full. Look in the bird's mouth near the back of the throat to see if there's any yellow plaque looking stuff in there. If there is, it could be Canker. You can get Fish-Zole (Metronidazole, Flagyl) from a pet store that specializes in aquarium fish or order it online. Give one 250 mg tab for a full size bird or 1/2 tab for a Bantam. The same treatment works for Blackhead which is a protozoa infection. If you don't see yellow plaque in the back of the throat, get some Sulfadimethoxine powder from the feed store and run 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for three days in case of Coccidiosis. After either treatment, run vitamins-electrolytes in the water for a couple days with a probiotic powder like ProBios. Most birds can be encouraged to eat by lightly moistening their crumbles with warm water. It is important that the bird stay hydrated and fed.

Always keep these two medications in your med cabinet.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  3. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Also, it is a necessary practice to keep new birds separate for at least a month before introduction to your established flock. That way you can prevent any possible contagious diseases from spreading. Always wash your hands well and disinfect equipment in between handling different flocks.

4. lipazron

lipazron New Egg

May 11, 2011
    Thanks very much. She drank and drank last night and came back to life. This morning, still isolated and indoors, she appears to be strong again. Heading to the vet to check her in case there is an issue that could affect the flock.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    While you're at the vet, have him/her show you how to tube feed, it might prove very useful someday.

6. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    You're welcome. I'm curious what you gave her to drink. Good luck at the vet, and let us know what the vet diagnoses.

7. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Here's an article on crop feeding. Never had to do it with a chick, but with adults I've used small rubber aquarium hose attached to a syringe. One of these crop needles would be a good investment:
    http://www.avianweb.com/tubefeeding.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by