listless hen, wheezing and eyes half closed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zephyr66, Dec 5, 2010.

1. zephyr66

zephyr66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Ramona, CA
    i have 8 hens and a rooster all about 8 months old and doing great. i live in a temperate climate in california and it rarely gets below freezing at night these days. yesterday, i noticed one of my hens didn't jump down from the roosting bar when i let them out of the coop in the morning. this morning, she didn't get down but i noticed she is acting different. her eyes were half closed and she was kinda "hunkered down". i took hr down off the roosting bar and she was not interested in the morning ration of scratch. she is just hanging around inside the coop not doing much. i noticed when she breathes, it sounds labored or almost as if she is wheezing. her eyes are half closed and sometimes all the way closed. she is not herself. i haven't seen her eat or drink this morning. any thoughts or suggestions? worried. i'm new to my chickens and this is my first flock. [​IMG]

2. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    If you haven't separated her yet, I would. Place her in a pet carrier or dog crate if you have one. Cover the cage to keep her from drafts. Check to see what her droppings look like. What is she on for bedding in her coop? There should be a list of questions at the top of this forum that will help members try to narrow down the type of problem your hen might have. If you have the time, see which ones pertain to your situation. Hang in there, I know it is upsetting if they are sick and you are trying to figure out what is going on.

Edit to add the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3569

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by