Listless hen with diarrhea, not eating or drinking much at all

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CmmwlthAbbey, Sep 26, 2016.

1. CmmwlthAbbey

CmmwlthAbbey Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2013
    Ayer, MA
    Hi, I have 2 free range pet hens (cooped at night). One has been slowly going downhill for about 5 days now. I have put worm meds, probiotics and electrolytes in her water, coaxing her to drink a few times a day. I noticed an egg that she'd tried to lay (shell was un-formed and liquidy) under her last Wednesday, as well as diarrhea. Now she is not moving from her spot under the coop. She'll nibble on food and take a few drops of water if I put it in front of her but her wing is droopy, as is her comb. I'm afraid to move her because I don't want to hurt her. Is there anything else that I should be doing for her? I read that a warm Epsom salt bath can help if she's blocked up. Should I be forcing fluids with a medicine dropper? Other medications? I feel terrible and don't know if I'm a horrible person. What about my other hen? Should I be worried about her? I live in North-Central Mass. Does anyone know of someone, another chicken-lover, who I might be able to consult? Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by