Listless hen with droopy comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ColoredEggHome, Feb 10, 2012.

1. ColoredEggHome

ColoredEggHome Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Jacksonville, NC
    Ive got a 9 month old Barred Rock hen who is usually my most aggressive girl who is now behaving listless, reluctant to eat. Her comb looks slightly pale and really droopy. Eyes and nares are clear of any discharge. She does have a pasty mess of foul smelling stool on her rear. I have separated her from the rest of the flock for observation. Any ideas what I am dealing with here? I watched her for a while in the run before I decided to separate her and she seemed as though she was straining to defecate. Her crop does not seem overly tight or hard either. Any insight will be appreciated.

2. cawpeaches

cawpeaches New Egg

Feb 7, 2012
    She may have an egg stuck - I've had a large hen w/ this and I soaked her bum in warm water and put on some nitrile gloves and helped get the mess out. She lived another few years after that!

3. ColoredEggHome

ColoredEggHome Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Jacksonville, NC
    I think you may be right. I lubed her vent and went inside about an inch and a half with my finger but didn't feel anything. She is eating (yogurt) and drinking a small amount and seems to be resting now so I'm going to leave her to rest for now but I may take her to my work tomorrow and shoot a quick xray and see if I can see an egg stuck in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by