Listless hen with floppy blue tinged comb, watery yellow poo. What is going on?

Gnomehen

Hatching
Sep 24, 2021
I have called 5 vets today and all are booked out for weeks or not accepting new clients. So I'm hoping to get some clues to help her before it's too late.

I have three hens I inherited after buying a house less than a year ago. The one of concern is a RIR, She is roughly 3 years old and was the top of the pecking order. Last week I noticed she wasn't as excited as the other hens when I gave them meal worms but didn't think much of it since she still ate a few. Over the last few days I have noticed her being very lethargic and listless, not leaving the coop or if we bring her out she hides under a bush. Her comb is starting to flop to one side and starting to have a tinge of blue on the back part. Her crop feels like a water balloon. Yesterday she didn't eat and barely drank and we kept splashing around in the water in front of her to encourage her to drink but today she had water unprompted and laid down to eat a worm she found in the yard. Her tail goes from raised to down but more downward since I've been paying attention. I am unsure about egg laying. I've attached some photos of her and her droppings. (unsure if previous owners did anything for worms or parasites)

Any advice or information is greatly appreciated. I have a lot to learn with raising chickens yet.

Attachments

• 20210924_200022.jpg
    20210924_200022.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210924_175006.jpg
    20210924_175006.jpg
    839.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210924_172834.jpg
    20210924_172834.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 5
You could start by treating the crop. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

If crop treatment fails to improve her, she could have an obstruction somewhere (tumors) that can be causing her crop to slow. She may also be molting (unless you are located in the southern hemisphere), and molt can really take a toll on some chickens with weight loss, appetite loss, pale, droopy comb, and lethargy.

She may also have a bacterial infection, but trying to treat a crop disorder and an infection at the same time can be tricky.

Back
Top Bottom