Listless hen...won't stand, faded comb, green feces attached to feathers

slmello

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 28, 2012
Auckland, ca
Please help. I went out to feed the chickens and one of my girls is very listless, pale comb, and won't stand. She seems to have an abnormal amount of feces around her vent area. She ate some scratch when placed right in front of her. I've isolated her, but haven't seen her drink water yet. Please help....

Could you take some photos of her hen and post them for us?

Green poop can mean a sign of malnutrition... If it's runny, it can be worms, which will require that you worm her with something like Valbazen or Safeguard.

If she is not drinking, you will have to tube liquid to her to save her. You can use a syringe (without a needle) and silicon aquarium tubing. Here is a link on tube feeding: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

It is more important that she stay hydrated than fed... Will she drink at all if you hold it up to her?

What is she doing now? Standing hunched and puffed? Standing upright like a penguin?

When was the last time she laid an egg? I would check to see if she's egg bound... Put a glove on, lube up, and insert your finger tip into her vent. If you feel an egg, that could be it.

Also, check her over for mites/lice and their nits (eggs) at the base of her feathers around her vent. If you find them, you can Sevin dust her every seven days for three weeks.

Does she feel thin? How are her poops - solid or runny? Do you see any foamy cecal poops?

Is her abdomen squishy like a water balloon or unusually hard? Do you feel any lumps or masses in her?

It's a place to start. :)

MrsB

Thank you for your response. I gave her some water in a syringe before I left for bible study. I just returned home and she has passed away. I'm so sad, she seemed to be fine yesterday. I just dont know what could happen so fast or what was I missing. Could worms kill a hen that quickly. I haven't wormed in several months. I'm feeling terrible about this.

I am so sorry for your loss. Chickens are masters at hiding their illnesses and keeping how bad they really feel from us. A chicken on death's door can get a burst of energy, then just lay down a few hours later and go to sleep.

Without a test, it's impossible to know what got your hen. If you lose another one, please place the body in the fridge (not the freezer) and contact your local vet's office to see about a necropsy. They will have information on where to send him or her for a thorough examination.

She could have been egg bound or had Egg Yolk Peritonitis. Did you ever seen evidence of runny, yolky poops?

If she was overburdened with internal parasites, that could give her a poopy butt and make her unable to function properly.

It's possible she got Coccidiosis (though unlikely in adult hens). Did you ever see anyone standing around hunched and puffed, bloody poops under the roost, or anyone going off their food?

It's also possible she had a stroke or some other neurological issue suddenly popped up.

Please don't blame yourself. As soon as you knew something was wrong, you took action and did what you could. She lived a happy life with you taking great care of her and loving her. Sometimes, they just go too quickly. :(

MrsB

I'm beginning to think she was egg bound. Her 'sister' from the same hatch has been laying for a few months and this hen hadn't started laying, I thought she was late to mature. I just don't know.

Last year I had a hen go down and I was able to take her to a Davis Vet Lab about an hour from here. Turns out she had ovarian cancer. If I have another hen starting to go down I will definitely take her to the lab for a necropsy.Your input is so appreciated.

What product do you use to,worm and how often? It has been about 8 months since I last wormed, I used Wazine.

Thank you

Wazine is good for roundworms and first-time worming.

Valbazen liquid goat wormer gets every kind of worm known to chickens. You give it orally via syringe. :)

I try to worm every six-ish months or as needed if it's particularly warm and humid.

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom