Listless, hunched over, and puffed up? 10 weeks old. What's wrong?!

mysweetgypsy

Chirping
8 Years
May 1, 2011
I have two hens, about 10 weeks old, one Buff, one Columbian, both are listless, hunched over, and all fluffed up. I just put them in a brand new coop, along with the rest of the group (total of 10 chickens), everyone else seems fine so far. The first 24 hours the food and water supply was not set "up" so it got really dirty, but they had food and water. Today I went out to hang everything and they were sleeping in the corner. The rest are very active and went crazy on the fresh clean feed and water. I had them on grit, just to aid digestion, and today added oyster shell, which they all tried. I add Applecider Vinegar to the water regularly, no meds. I did not notice anything unusual in the droppings, no weird smells, no discharge, eyes and nose are clear. What is wrong? I hate to see my girls not feeling well:( Please, I would so appreciate ANY advice!!

We live in Maine, temp was 90 yesterday, today 65ish. They were on my sunporch before moving outside, but it's almost all screened windows. The coop is well ventilated. All the chicks have been together for several weeks.

Fluffed up and hunched over sounds like coccidiosis to me. You don't have to see bloody droppings. I'd treat them with corid or sulmet asap.

Sometimes they don't get the bloody droppings with cocci or the droppings get bloody and the end id near.

Remove them from the flock so the others will not get whatever they have. This is a good way to also watch them for other symptoms and make sure their poops are OK. Set them up with their own food and water.

What do their droppings look like?

Are they breathing funny?

What type of bedding are you using?

Have all 10 been living with each other before this or were they separated?

Did you check them for mites and lice?

Last edited:
They've been together for several weeks, almost all their lives. No lice or mites. So far no other symptoms than the posture and listless behavior. I use regular pine shavings, just like what we use for the horse stall. I've never given them any meds, but they have been on medicated feed from day one. Which was suppose to prevent Cocci, I thought? I hate to randomly medicate, but the posture seems to fit photos I found online. Almost thought it was my little buff! What medication should I use if they've been on medicated starter? Thanks everyone!! (I'll be headed to the feed store soon:)

Listless and laying down and being puffy are symptoms that the chicken is not feeling well. It could be for 100 different reasons, not just cocci. That's their way to say "hey I'm sick".

They no longer need medicated feed. Without knowing more symptoms I can't help. Very sorry.

Keep them away from the others. Give them some treats like scrambled egg or chopped up meat to keep them eating (they won't feel like eating regular chicken food) and watermelon or cut up grapes is a great way to get extra water into them when they just don't feel like drinking.

Is there anything that the sick ones did or eat?

Last edited:
I sometimes feed veg scraps, whole grain bread, but haven't for several days. I did give them a couple blueberry pancakes to share the other day, weird I know, but I had some great fresh blueberries and didn't want to leave them out:) It's a big coop, if the droppings are off I didn't see it. I guess to be safe I'll start them on antibiotics, couldn't hurt, I hope? Thanks.

Medicated feed was all the local store had, except layer pellets, so that was it.

I've spent quite a bit of time trying to track down Sulmet! No luck in my area. I'm ordering some but that'll take time, time they may not have. Can I give them amoxicilian? I have an oral suspension that I have not reconstituted yet. Any ideas? I would just hate to lose any, especially since I can't figure out how they got it! They've had a pretty cushy start:)

I'd hate to have you start antibiotics and give the wrong one. It won't hurt them but if they don't have an infection it won't work. They could have a parasite overload or something else going on. You have to know what you are dealing with before you treat.

Are they showing any other symptoms?

If they are eating and drinking they might just need some time to get better.

I've had hens before that were puffy and lethargic and the next morning they were fine.

I wish I could help more.

Back
Top Bottom