Listless not moving pullet 4months old!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hannah11, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Hannah11

Hannah11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2012
    Bluff, New Zealand
    hi everyone, my little bantam pullet nugget is four months old (ish) and when i went to feed her she didn't run toward the food or display any type of interest, I went off to feed another group and when i came back I realized she was standing funny not walking and puffed up. My first thought was she's getting ready to lay but now after putting a next box out (she got into it) and bringing it into the warm its been 8hours and she just seems worse not moving sort off standing, odd breathing and eyes closed (barely opens them) I'm very worried, i placed my fingers gently on the bones beside her vent and the are only almost two fingers apart. Is this her wanting to lay or maybe egg bound? or something more serious?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Harry Rooster

Harry Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry about your nugget. Has she been laying? That seems might young to be laying. I also have had lots of Bantam babies, but it doesn't seem like they were laying at that age. I could be wrong. I wish I knew what to tell you, but I don't know, I was just thinking that it may be something else besides a laying problem since she's so young. Hope someone else will tell you something that will help you. There are a lot of floks on BYC that know a lot about these things. Hopefully they'll get on soon and see your post. Have any of your other pullets or hens been sick in any way or acting different at all? Praying for you and your little nugget. Hope you get an answer, and that she gets back to normal.[​IMG]

3. Hannah11

Oct 11, 2012
    Bluff, New Zealand
    Thanks heaps for you reply, comforting (i have been checking every 10 mins...) I didn't think i really would be egg related either but i just don't know, none of the other chicks are sick and she has been weird and grumpy and squatting this week and i heard that meant egg laying. I just read something about sour crop so I'm about to smell her breath :)

Thank you very much harry rooster :)
    Ill update if anything new happens

4. Hannah11

Oct 11, 2012
    Bluff, New Zealand
    I was to late, little nugget died on my lap :(
    thanks for your thoughts

5. Harry Rooster

Harry Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

I know what you mean. When I had my first emergency, I checked every few minutes also for so so long before anyone answered me, it was very distressing. You are doing the right thing while you wait for someone to reply that may know. Just keep reading posts that sound anything like what your chick is doing or not doing, you can also type things into the search bar to, "search this forum" for key issues that will bring up posts with those problems. The sour crop thing would be a good thing to check for, also if she's been acting funny for a while, may be something she ate that doesn't agree with her. There are certain kinds of plants and also certain bugs that can make them very sick and even poisonous, but if she's not throwing up or something like that it's probably not poisonous but still could be something that doesn't agree. Have you fed them anything today or since she's been acting strange that you usually don't feed them? I just learned a couple of days ago that you are not supposed to give chickens raw potatoes or potato peelings to peck on, or beans because they can't process gas. I didn't know that. Be sure and let me know if you discover what is wrong or if things get worse or if she gets better. Praying for you and your little chick. I love my chickens.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by