listless, puffed up hens with runny poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aj1911, May 26, 2010.

1. Aj1911

Aj1911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    2 of my hens (one GLW and one RIR) are acting puffed up and listless

the GLW has been this way for about a week or so now i didnt worry much cuz she was eating fine but now she only eats some treats (she wants lettuce the most it seems for 2 days now....atleast shes eating)

the RIR was only this way for 3 days and is now eating like normal but she seems tired from the whole thing....

they have runny yellow kinda foamy poop but i notices my GLW's was black like tar and real runny today

other wise eyes are fairly bright, comb and wattles are bright, no other hens showing symptoms.

they seemed to do better after eating a good amount of wet mash (made with yogurt, a splash of milk and some game bird food with some added good bacteria) and alot of ACV in they're water

i'm thinking worms seems how my hens just free range and eat ALOT of bugs but they might of gotten into some old wet food that got kicked out of they're coop and i didnt see it tell the other day, it was pretty decade and nasty.

i know its not sour crop from the feed they show no signs of that.

2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I would just keep an eye on them. If you suspect worms try some DE in their feed or I think you can use pumpking seeds for natural de-worming - try doing a search. It sounds like you're doing a great job caring for them... keep it up! [​IMG]

3. Aj1911

Jun 4, 2009
    update!: the GLW is eating oats and out and about today still a little puffed up hanging out on the porch here and there

my RIR is worse tho, shes keeping her eyes closed even when walking sometimes and acting super tired, she is eating tho

so any more advice?

i got some verm-x wormer on the way....

4. Aj1911

Jun 4, 2009
    anyone got any ideas? still worried about my RiR....hope she is ok in the morning [​IMG]

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Last edited: May 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by