Listless pullet with yellow discharge--Vent Gleet...or?

BrassTackx

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
Hey folks,
This am I got a call from my housemate that one of our flock (10 8 week old birds) was listless (standing around with her eyes closed), not eating, and had fluffed herself all up. The housemate isolated her before heading off to work, but by the time I got home (maybe five hours later, she had died.

On examining her, I found a little yellow discharge from her vent --some of it could be described as chalky, some of it is kind of clearish. My first thought with these symptoms is vent gleet--but I'm surprised that it would have killed her so quickly and would like a firmer diagnosis so I can be proactive in regards to the rest of the flock.

What do ya'll think? Vent gleet? Or is there something else I should consiter?

Thanks in advance!
Cole

Vent gleet is something you might see in an adult hen, but I think your pullet could have had coccidiosis. It is very common in this age group. Symptoms are lethargy, puffing up or huddling, poor appetite, fluffed neck feathers, and diarrhea, sometimes with blood. Treatment is Corid or Ampromed (amprollium) 2 tsp liquid (or 1.5 tsp powder) in a gallon of water, as the only water source for 5 days. Then give a few days of vitamins and probioics after completion of Corid. I would suggest treating your other chicks. Sorry for your loss.

Mortality due to Coccidiosis is avoided with preventative treatments of Amprolium in water from about 3 weeks of age up until at least 7 months of age. I've found Coccidiosis to not be controlled by medicated feed. The likelihood of ineffectiveness happens every day medicated feed sits on the shelf, or exposed to oxidation. With Corid in water, I control the dose. I use Corid 9.6% solution @ 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days, preparing a fresh solution each day, every three weeks. In between I supplement water with vitamin-electrolyte and probiotic dispersible powder 3 days a week. The highest quality starter/grower feed should be used when raising chicks. Cheap or lesser quality feeds will be deficient in nutrients or compromised with filler replacements.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom