Literally frozen chicken feet Emergency!

annanicole18

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Went out to feed my girls a little while ago and noticed my turken roo was walking funny and rocking back and forth. Finished feeding the other animals and went to check him out his feet are literally frozen no toe movement whatsoever..... He doesn't roost everyone bullys him and he just sleeps on the raised platform i have. What can i do to help him? I brought him inside and his feet sound like rocks hitting the floors. Hes the sweetest roo i have ever had and i also hatched him so i feel terrible that i didn't think of this happening.
Sex: Rooster
Problem: Frozen cold to touch lower leg and feet.

Last edited:
I don't have experience with this, but if you extrapolate from human info, I'd let his feet warm up very gently - quickly would be painful. I was just reading about frostbite and such and found several postings people made of roos especially with feet that had gotten frozen. Pics showed toes that fell off and roos waling on peg-legs but doing just fine, breeding hens, walking, feeding, etc. I'd keep him inside for awhile to make sure no infection sets in, but I'd wager that in the long run he'll be fine.

I just can tell you that you need a lot of clean, dry shavings on the floor of that coop to keep him warm and dry. My litter is over six inches deep in the coop and so far...knock on wood...have never had that problem. It works like insulation. Don't forget to put shavings or lots of straw on that platform of his. Put some vaseline on his feet? I know we do that for the combs when it get real cold to prevent frostbite. Maybe someone with experience from "frozen feet" can advise you?

sad.png
Oh that poor rooster... I hope th, ings work out for him. I would agree with the other poster regarding letting them warm up slowly, and then evaluate the damage. Maybe there's a chance that he's retained some circulation????

He is currently in the a dog kennel in the back room of my house that has its own heater. He is enjoying a breakfest of warm oatmeal and sitting on a dog pillow. He is still friendly and active he just has lead feet.

Oh you poor thing -- but how smart of you to notice something was wrong. If it were me I would fill a shallow pan with luke warm water and stand him in it for several minutes.

Do you have a heating pad, rice bags... maybe even a tray full of gravel or sand you can heat in the oven. Of you do, once whatever it is you have is hot, cover with a tea towel and stand him on it. Once he's been thawed out and seems to being feeling comfy, coat his feet and legs with vaseline -- this last step will sooth his skin and help repel moisture.

Bless his heart -- he is so lucky to have a dear thing like you to tend to him. I hope he's doing much better very soon.

Jenny

Spent the past ten minutes soaking his feet in wam water and surprisingly he starting walking better after the first round. Took his feet out after a few minutes then let them cool then put them back in. Now he is really moving around and walking close to normal. thanks for the advice i just didn't want to do something that would hurt him or possibly make his toes fall off...i have had rescues that were like that and i know it makes roosting really hard.

Back
Top Bottom