Lithargic hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spowell, Oct 21, 2011.

1. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    I have a Sillkie pullet who is 6-7 months old. Yesterday afternoon I noticed that she was not acting right. She was just laying there. I picked her up and moved her and she stayed in a laying position. I gave her the once over and everything looked fine. No leg problems, no mites, clear eyes, nothing I could see out of the ordinary. So, I called my chicken friend and described the issue to her. She said that the pullet sounded broody. Well, after thinking about it, that's exactly what she looked like. But, she has not started laying yet!!! Not one single egg.....I did separate her from the group last night and gave her food and water which she showed no interest in.

Has this happened to anyone else, or is it even possible? I checked on her this morning and the same thing.

Any thoughts would be great....

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Was she sitting in a nest box, or in an enclosed space? If not, it does not sound like broodiness.

If she is in the nest box, toss her out or change her environement. That may cure her of the urge to sit.

3. spowell

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:No. She was sitting on the ground in the grass. No matter where I sat her she just laid down.

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    She sounds ill. Check her for mites/lice tonight. In the interim, get her some electrolytes and/or sugar water. Maybe scramble her an egg.

Listen closely for rattling in her lungs, and look for any goo in the yes or bubbles from the nose.

5. spowell

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:I have been checking those things and will continue to. I checked for parasites last night and found nothing, eyes are clear, no congestion or respritory sounds and her droppings this morning looked fine. I will try a scrambled egg, I had not thought of that. I'm stumped.

I wonder........ Maybe she heard me talking about taking her to her first show next week [​IMG]

Please let it be something simple.....She is my sweetest and most beautiful Silkie I have. She is developing into a good SQ girl. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    I'm sorry you're going through that. It's very frustrating and worrisome.

I'm having the exactly same problem with my 6 month old Buff Orpington. She's lethargic, her tail feathers aren't as erect as normal but her feathers are puffed up. She's moving pretty slowly and hangs her head while trying to sleep on the roost. She's been the first in at night and the last out in the morning. Checked her over last night and she doesn't have mites, sores or injuries. I gave her some scrambled eggs last night and she ate them. Not sure how much water she's drinking. She's been laying pretty regularly for the last two months but nothing since Monday. Doesn't feel egg bound. Poops are a mix of watery and somewhat solid - nothing you don't see occassionaly. No runny nose & her eye's look normal.

I'm completely stumped too. If you find out what's going on with your girl, please post about it. I'd love to hear what you did. I'm sorry I don't have any advice.

7. spowell

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    Well, I just ran home from work to check on her. She is up and moving around. I fixed her scrambled egg and she scarffed it down. When I tried to hold her head to check eyes and nostrils, she faught me not to look. So I take that as a good sign. Who knows.....I just hope she keeps improving [​IMG]

8. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    Good luck. Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by