Litter and Leaves

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CrazyBirdLady, Apr 23, 2009.

1. CrazyBirdLady

CrazyBirdLady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Salem / Redgranite
    I tried searching the forums for posts about leaves, but most of them pertained to using leaves in the runs. My run will be in the woods, so I don't think I'll have a choice of whether or not I get leaves in my run.

On the other hand, I was wondering about using leaves for litter. I'd rake them up from the edges where the yard meets the woods and use that as litter as long as I had leaves to rake. When leaves were not available I would use pine shavings. Would this be okay?

2. Im4dabirds

Im4dabirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Central Alabama
    I can't answer your question, but I'd sure love to hear the responses. I have about 50 oak and hickory trees in my yard and I'd love to be able to use the leaves. I'm composting but that takes a while and with the different trees, we have leaves falling somewhere all year long it seems.

3. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I used leaves in my run in the fall, realistically I probably put 3 -4 feet deep of leaves in. This spring there is now barely anything. The chickens loved scratching in it all winter. I wrapped a tarp around the fence to keep out the snow and wind and they went out EVERY day-all winter. It does get very cold and windy here. Sometimes in the negative #'s!

4. CrazyBirdLady

CrazyBirdLady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Salem / Redgranite
    Quote:I have no doubt that I will do something quite similar in my run as I will plant a garden in that area the following spring.

I want to know if I can use leaves as litter in the coop. Anyone?

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Some people do use dried leaves in their coop. It's a bit riskier, you have to be careful because they are more prone to mold (b/c of not necessarily being as dry as baled shavings or straw, and b/c of being inherently a bit more susceptible to mold). And they are not particularly absorbant. But if they're free and you can make them work management-wise, it certainly is sometimes done.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    In the fall I use leaves for bedding in my coop. I just make sure it hasn't rained in a few days and I rake them up late in the afternoon when all dew if off them. I also just rake up the scattered leaves and no thick clumps.

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:I've recently been added well-dried leaves to our coop litter, just like redoak.

So far, so good. I do make sure to stir the litter a few times a week and haven't noticed any mold on the leaves, even though we've been getting alot of rain here.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

8. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

I was just going to ask about this, also. The area where we're building the coop and run is under several large oak trees and the ground is covered with oak leaves - they have pointy little edges on them - is that a problem for the chickens?

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Nope. CHickens got tough feeties [​IMG]

Pat

10. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh good! Thank you!

I was afraid I'd have to find them little Wellies to walk around in otherwise [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by