Litter box instructions ( for rabbits )

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Toast n Jelly, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Thought I'd post this on it's own thread as this method will save time cleaning and is mainly odor free. I'll just say here that the litter used is wood stove pellets @ about 4$ for 40 lbs.
    I'd love to see pics of your completed boxes!

start off with a kitty litter box with a removable rim and add a liner (can be used over and over)
    [​IMG]

a couple of sheets of newspaper.
    [​IMG]

a layer of wood pellets..
    [​IMG]

Form fencing material to the shape of a box and place over the wood pellets,should be about 3 or 4 inches high.
    [​IMG]

Place the rim over and some hay and rotate the 4 corners, lasts quite awhile.
    [​IMG]

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    For dense bunnies....

Put a tbsp or so of droppings in the litter the first day or so, they'll figure it out after that.

3. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:Maybe even some urine...Thanks Saddina [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I know this is an old post, but why is the hay in the litter pan?

5. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    to coax them into the box the first few times... some buns will be hesitant to hop in.

it's a bribe.

6. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I think a lot of bunnies also like to just sit in there and eat the hay and will poop while they do it....getting their training pointed in the right direction.

7. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    It helps to put the box where they normally like to poo, as well. Most rabbits will pick a corner of the cage to use as their bathroom. Once they're trained, they'll only poop while they are out if you scare them.

8. bobwhitelover

bobwhitelover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    SOmerset
    Thats a nice setup but i would say don't put the plastic protector a rabbit might try to eat it and it would clogg the digestive system [​IMG]

9. bullyforme

bullyforme Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Trololo farm
    Quote:True, my rabbit will eat an entire plastic grocery bag if left to her own devices. Many rabbits will nibble anything, anything!
    Our rabbit is 100% litter trained (no joke, not even a poop pebble outside her box). I have on hand a few packs of disposable vinyl or latex gloves & paper towels to do the cleaning and skip the plastic liner. I usually line with newspaper like the OP, sprinkle liberally with hay, and just roll it up a few times a week and toss in the compost pile. I don't use the wood pellets; our rabbit is a female and her urine doesn't smell, so if you have a male rabbit the pellets are a great idea to absorb odors.

All in all the op has listed a great setup, but I would leave off the plastic liner. [​IMG]

10. bobwhitelover

bobwhitelover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    SOmerset
    True, my rabbit will eat an entire plastic grocery bag if left to her own devices. Many rabbits will nibble anything, anything!
    Our rabbit is 100% litter trained (no joke, not even a poop pebble outside her box). I have on hand a few packs of disposable vinyl or latex gloves & paper towels to do the cleaning and skip the plastic liner. I usually line with newspaper like the OP, sprinkle liberally with hay, and just roll it up a few times a week and toss in the compost pile. I don't use the wood pellets; our rabbit is a female and her urine doesn't smell, so if you have a male rabbit the pellets are a great idea to absorb odors.

All in all the op has listed a great setup, but I would leave off the plastic liner. [​IMG][/qu

Same here but if i did that i would have dead rabbits EVERYWHERE!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by