Litter box training-for dogs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by percyj, Dec 29, 2010.

1. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Okay, a little background. Benji is my almost 3 (in Jan! They grow up so fast) year old yellow lab/pit bull mix. He is normally very good at house training, but when we leave he a) destroys anything in sight or b) pees on carpet. He has to be put in the crate whenever we leave, for hours sometimes, which I find cruel and/or inhumane. I was thinking of fencing of a tile hallway and putting a low sided bin about 3 ft. Long and 1 and a half ft. Wide. Layering some paper towels on it and essentially literbox training him for when we are gone. Any tips or advice? We don't have a fenced yard, and it's freezing here in Chicago. My parents don't want to risk leaving him out no matter how well he's trained, so it's mainly how to confine him in the best possible way. Thanks in advance!

2. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    Crating is by FAR the best way to deal with it. The reason he wrecks stuff when he's out is that dogs without people get really nervous and they do stuff that's comforting to them. Number one comfort for dogs is chewing and tearing up things. The reason he doesn't do that when he's crated - doesn't chew on the bars or eat the crate tray - is that he doesn't feel nervous anymore. Crating is not cruel even the tiniest bit; most breeders I know insist that puppies be crate-trained and in fact I won't sell a puppy to a home without a crate. As long as he gets plenty of exercise when you're home, crating up to the length of a normal workday is normal and isn't inhumane.

3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    crate training is not cruel one tiny bit. Dogs have a den instinct.

The dog crate helps to satisfy this instinct. The crate should be a

happy place for them. Keep your dog in the crate when your gone.

It's not cruel. [​IMG]

-Becca

4. percyj

Jun 20, 2010
    Yes, he is very well trained, but when we go to parties, we are gone from 7pm-1am. Should he really be crated that long? Would it be possible to put him in a pen with maybe puppy pads? The crate would be in the hallway.

5. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    That's not too long to crate a dog. Many dogs are crated overnight or when the owner is gone to work. It is far safer for your dog if he is crated when you are gone instead of tearing stuff up. What happens if he decided to chew on an electrical cord or swallowed some material that clogs up his digestive system? You have a dead dog. Just because it hasn't happened in 3 years absolutely does not mean it won't happen. Crate him. Both you and your dog will be happier.

6. percyj

Jun 20, 2010
    Ok! Thank you for all your help everyone. Benji and I appreciate it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by