1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Litter box, why?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rebelcowboysnb, Oct 3, 2011.

1. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Why is it that when I tell people my puppies are litter box trained people react as if I told them they were beamed here from mars...

Quote:

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I've always wanted to litter box train a dog. When i mentioned to to the rest of the family they looked at me like I was crazy as well. [​IMG].

3. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Litter box training a small dog makes more sense than laying down papers or "wee wee pads" and having the mess uncontained and the dog not really knowing how to properly use them. I have litterbox trained several dogs for clients, as well as door bell training signals to go outside. Litter boxes make life a whole lot easier if you have a tiny toy dog.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I litter box train all my pups at around 4 weeks. Its easy to do it at that time cause they are learning where to poop then. Plus it saves me 4+ weeks of puppy poo everywhere. An if the family that gets them wants to stick with litter boxes then they dont have to do any house training.

I don't keep mine on the box but its there till they get big enough to work the dog door.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Hey I say good for you!!!! Who'd a thought it??

6. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Litter boxes are the way to go....especially with toy breeds. It isn't uncommon here to get snow by the foot or several feet at a time. The little ones don't like to poop when the snow is butt height....[​IMG]
    Purina even makes a dog litter box and dog litter.
    I guess some people just have a hard time thinking outside of the box....uh litter box for dogs...lol

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    When I move and want to get a dog, I'm pretty sure I will look for a small dog so I can litter train it. It really simplifies things if you have to work a long day or can't get back regularly to take the dog out. Litter boxes are super easy to clean as well and you can use different types of litter from wood shavings to pellets or actual litter.

8. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    I don't think I've ever seen a dog litter box, and I sure wish I'd known about this when we got our rat terrier puppy. That pup still isn't trained and those wee wee pads really don't work [​IMG] I wonder if I can get her trained to the box now ... hmmm ...
    And sorry you got that response. It's a great idea and that response was completely unwarranted ...

9. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    All my tiny toy dogs have been litter box trained over the years. They're just too much of easy pickins' for hawks and such. [​IMG] Yep, some folks do have a funny reaction to that. I've had cats that were much larger than the dogs and they're box trained, so why not dogs? [​IMG]

10. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:We shovel a special area for our little dog - we call it the "poop loop".

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by