litter boxed trained chickens????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scrapmom5, Jul 22, 2008.

1. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    I was surfing the net and found a lady who has a rooster that is litter box trained.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/Frizzle_th-X109.aspx

After I stopped laughing and went out to play with my chickens I started wondering how this can be done. Can I just put a kitty litter box filled with shavings out in my hen house and train my chickens to do their business in the box and leave the rest of the run/house alone? It would really make mukking the hen house a piece of cake.

Have any of you tried this?

How would one go about doing this?

What are your thoughts on the subject?

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I don't see why you couldn't train them, but you'd have to start with young ones I imagine. One of my cats is toilet trained.

3. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    I'd bet you could clicker train it. Only problem would be the litter, you couldn't use regular litter cause it would look edible to a chicken. [​IMG]

4. pvc coop

pvc coop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Put the feed on top of the toilet, that way you have them pointing in the right direction.
    [​IMG]

5. missa28

missa28 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Quote:Thats too good lol [​IMG]

6. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    A friend of mine swears that her hubbie used to have a chicken that pecked on the door when she had to defecate.

My response was, "what, like every 15 minutes?!?"

8. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    OMG....what a great photo and response!! That is priceless!!

9. chickendadma

chickendadma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2014
    Virginia
    This thread might be dead, but I also would be interested to learn from anyone who's trained their chickens to poop in only certain locations. I love hanging out with them but I sure am tired of them pooping on me. Especially those cecal poops!

Anyone had luck with it?

10. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    All my roosters have been paper trained. Whenever I would need to bring one in to keep him in a crate in the garage for any reason, I would get him out every two or three hours and he would poop on command on a newspaper on a shelf by the window. The hens were less likely to hold it until they could go on the paper.

I raised a chick to age five weeks, and now he's a rooster living in a home, sleeping on a file cabinet, and watching TV with the family. I imagine he's paper trained.

It's fairly easy to train roosters to do this. I guess they're just smarter than hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by