Litter boxes under roosts

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tracyree, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Anyone try using litter boxes full of sand under the roosts instead of poop boards? I did poop boards in the old coop and didn't like the scraping off poop thing. Thinking of using an under the bed rubbermaid box on a shelf ender the roost, fill it with sand and scoop it ever several days.

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Some folks are using boot trays too. I think it's a great idea. I hope to get around to it myself one of these days!

3. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

That sounds like a good idea. Try it and let us know if it works. I would but my hens roost on a wall between stalls. It was originally a horse barn. I wouldn't know how to attach it.

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I got two of the big plastic trays that are made to go under washing machines. I got them in the appliance department at Home Depot, and the two of them together fit my coop perfectly. I fill them with pine shavings, and clean-up is super quick and easy. You could use sand in them, too. I just prefer pine shavings.

5. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    That's what I plan to do - I just built the trays out of extra wood, caulked, will paint and then fill with sand soon as coop is finished. We're early into it though - our chicks are just 1 week old and busily pooping on their tiny roost in the brooder [​IMG]

6. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Just make sure they can't nest in the poop boxes.

7. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    [​IMG] These are my poop boards,I use sweet pdz in them but I`m going to check into the price of sand as the price of the pdz is going up all the time.I scoop everyday with a large cat scoop for the litter box.

8. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Thanks henny penny, tahrs exactly what I want to do! Looks like it works great for you.

9. Sophie442

Sophie442 Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2014
    Do the chickens try to use the PDZ or sand for dusting?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by