Little advice needed!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pea3pod, Nov 24, 2016.

1. pea3pod

pea3pod New Egg

Oct 26, 2016
    Kent U.K.
    Hi everyone!
    I am just looking for a little advice I have 12 very active chicks who are 4 weeks old to day and they are a absolute joy and massive but one of my chicks who wasn't very well not long after she hatched, I nursed her back to health but she's tiny her wing feathers are only just coming through where the others have there wing feathers and most of their body feathers she hasn't. Should I be concerned? She's eating and drinking and she's quite a spunky little thing but I did notice today that 2 of the other chicks where peacking at her and pulling out her new wing feathers bless her she really chirped out it must of hurt her so I have separated her from the others, have I done the right thing? I do know that some of my other chicks do take her under there wing especially my youngest chick humbug (who is massive and ALOT bigger than the rest) but I don't know what to do for the best? all advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you in advance. P.s this is my first hatch so I'm very new.
    Pea3pod
    U.K.
    P.s.s sorry about the header predictive text strikes again [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :frow

Often the smallest and weakest of the group are picked on by the stronger members of the group.
    If it was getting to the point of her being badly injured you have done the right thing by separating her. I would have done the same. Can she still see the others? Do you have another chick with her so she's not on her own?

P.S ~ I edited your title for you :highfive:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe you could include one of the chicks that you said takes her under their wing. She will be happier with a buddy during her separation. And a nice bond may develop where the other chick will protect her from bullies.[​IMG]

4. SilkieLady6

SilkieLady6 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2016
    Washington State
    I would attempt the look but don't touch method, have the chicks can see each other but they can't pick on her, at least until she grows a little more.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Separate with a chick or 2 that won't abuse her, but keep both groups next to each other.
    Keep adding chicks, or mix and match, and eventually you will get them all back together.

Tho the chick that is lagging in development may or may not catch up....
    .....if it had coccidiosis, it's intestines may have been damaged and it will never catch up or get totally healthy.
    Same goes if it has some genetic/development malformation inside

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by