little Bantam

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pamir, Nov 12, 2011.

1. pamir

pamir Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    ok so she is not a chick but not laying age either. When I bought her they said she was around 4 months old which seems accurate. She is in a cage in the house though because the bigger hens (leghorns) will not let her snuggle with them for warmth and it is cold out there. I have a window well outside my room that I have been putting her in during the day. I may see if I can figure out how to put a light out there so she can be outside all the time but for now she is a happy little bedroom hen LOL.

I don't really have a ?? just wanted feedback

angela

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:Yeah, those leghorns aren't usually very good snugglers. I use the red heat lamp for my girls. It gets cold out there at night in the winter. I started using it last month. I have bantams and large fowl in there. One of my bantam girls just hunkers down in the bottom next box. I let her. And, all of the chickens knows..that, that is her sleeping place. The others get up and roost where ever..there are two others that roost in the coop.
    Maybe when you get some heat in the coop, you can make a special place for her to sleep, a nice little basket or something that is just the right size for her. Good luck!

Have to add.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  3. pamir

pamir Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    I have heat out there but since they were not letting her snuggle and I once saw them chase her away from the food I brought her in. I think I may be nuts but I like having her in her. She is so sweet. Also we put that plastic fence stuff over the top of the coop they are in and somehow a piece of it fell behind the hen house, the last day she was out there I found her all wrapped up in it, I thought for sure she was dead but nope just trapped and scared so now she is my little house hen LOL has anyone else ever had a chicken in the house?

Angela

4. pamir

pamir Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    I am trying to find out how to put a pic on here of the little bantam I think I have this right

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Angela

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Aww, she's cute! I know I've read that a lot of folks on here have house chickens. There are chicken diapers out there, for real! Type in house chickens and see what you come up with. You could chat on that thread.
    She looks like a sweetheart!

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Aw, sweet chickie! You have a bedroom chicken... lol. I love your parrot-cage-style home for her, with the rope "swing." More pictures, please. [​IMG]

7. pamir

pamir Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    yes cat she has a rope perch and loves it! but she needs a bigger cage so that is something I am working on
    Angela

8. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    She's so cute!
    I have 5 pullets and my little bantam (the others are standards) is my favorite. I'd keep mine as a house chicken in a heartbeat, but since she does get along with the others, and I know she'd be lonely without them, I keep her out in the coop.

There's nothing wrong with keeping a house chicken, as far as I'm concerned, but make sure she doesn't get lonely--chickens are very social creatures! Can you get another bantam to keep her company?
    Also, it should be one or the other. If you do decide to keep her outside overnight, be sure that she either gets acclimated gradually to cooler temperatures, or supply heat to keep her at the temperature that she's accustomed to.

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Aww, how cute! I've often thought about making my bantam frizzle Cochin, "Little Blackie" a house chicken....She's so darned cute and pretty little....About the size of a guinea pig (a smallish guinea pig) LOL

She's the smallest bantam I have, but she does fine with the little flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by