Little banty roo crowed....at 8 weeks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LuvinMyPeeps, Nov 16, 2008.

1. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    My little banty (which I thought might have been a girl until about a week when her cumb started to grow) wanted out with the other 2 chicks. So I took them all out. They were all sitting on my arm and all of a sudden she stuck her neck out really far, stretched her breast out (I thought 'she' was choking) and crowed....bokkkkkkaaaaaawwww! My mouth dropped open! hee....my little banty girl is a boy [​IMG] hee. I think it's so cute. Sofar she's only done it twice... (I mean 'he'), but I prolly won't think it's so cute when he does it all the time in the house. They aren't fully feathered so I can't put them in the coop since it's not heated.

Just thought it was cute. [​IMG]

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Mine started at 5 weeks. I know how you feel LOL I have seen others on here I THINK crow as early as 3 weeks. Mine is also a bantam.

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Wow!

Mine didn't crow for ages - not until they were about 4 months old! I love those first crows - they sound so funny!

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    What age will silkies start to crow?

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think it really varies with all breeds. My silkie roosters were all 5-6 months before they crowed. They were very difficult to sex because of this. They did not get streamers til 5 mos.

6. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    Quote:I know... I wish all roosters just crowed early and got it over with! That would be a lot easier for us wouldn't it! [​IMG]

7. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:My little guys started young too! They are about 12 weeks now & they still sound totally sick! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    LOL.

I have a few babies in the house. Waiting for them to start so I can BE SURE who the girls and boys are!

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The earliest I've had a cockerel crow was 5 DAYS. Since then, I've had two crow at a week old. It is absolutely adorable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by