1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

little birds and my Layer feed issue

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by EagleTheHenpecked, Mar 3, 2012.

1. EagleTheHenpecked

EagleTheHenpecked Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2011
    Demotte
    I have a total flock of 6 nine month old girls out in my coop and run right now. they are all large fowl birds. last week at the poultry auction i took home a golden Seabright hen. No idea how old she is but her body shows a lot of bleaching. so i'm guessing a year and a half to two years. She is Tiny compared to my other girls. she is ready to be integrated into the flock now but i'm hesitant due to her size. now rewind. i hatched out a bunch of chicks for the new years day hatch this year. i have 3 left. they're 9 weeks old and already bigger than the Seabright. I would feel better about integrating all 4 of the birds together with my 6 big ones to cut down on the pecking. This should work fine, except that my birds are in a coop and run and rely mostly on bagged feed for food. My big hens eat layer feed. and as far as i know if the 9 week old babies were to eat nothing but layer feed, it would mess up their systems. So the question is, what do i do?

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    You can give them all Flock Raiser. They you can offer oyster shells the older girls problem solves.

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Edit double post.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  4. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    i feed all my flock all flock pellets with oyster shell on the side and i actually like it better than layer. all my girls are layers

5. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    How do you keep the little ones from eating the oyster shell? And will the adults eat what they need?

6. EagleTheHenpecked

Oct 7, 2011
    Demotte
    Will the little ones really try to go for the oyster shell at all? i suppose you could suspend the shell higher up so the big birds could get to it but not the much shorter "teenage" chickens. Just a thought. if the oyster shell would mess the babies up then i'm in trouble as i just sorta throw it out like scratch feed and the birds gobble it up at their leasure. [​IMG]
    I've never seen a chicken eat when they arent hungry. i could put food out for them all day long and once they're full they seem to completely ignore it and get on with their chickeny lives doing chickeny stuff. (at least until they get hungry again)

7. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    I'm just afraid that the "teenagers" will get to it. I want them to be safe.

8. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    they'll check out the oyster shell then really won't want any...... only the layers will want it.... i do the same as mstricer, works great!!!!!!

9. EagleTheHenpecked

Oct 7, 2011
    Demotte
    so in a way it's like a pregnant woman wanting pickles and ice cream while pregnant. if there is a legitimate for the nutrients the oyster shells provide then the birds will eat them. if not then there is no reason for them to eat the shell. wish it was that way with layer feed. i'm gonna pick up some all flock today and i already have oyster shell for them.

10. cooped up

cooped up Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Portland, Or
    This is just what was on my mind.How soon can you start the flock raiser on the chicks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by