Little Bit Of White On Chicken Comb????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Melovechickens, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Melovechickens

Melovechickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2017
    I don't think this is an emergency at all, but I didn't find any other category. Ha ha. Anyways.... my cute little Cochin looks like her comb is dry or something. I have another post on my Orpington because I thought she had Avian Pox, but she doesn't because it's been quite a while and now the white went away and there are no more scabs. I don't know if my dominant hen gave up on the Orpington because the Orpington is twice her size or what. I was checking on my Cochin because she was squawking like a maniac and I went out there and it turns out she got left and didn't know where anyone was. So I brought her down to everyone and I looked at her comb and I was holding her on the ground. She was standing on the ground and I had my hand on her chest and my dominant hen came at her over and over and I kept pushing the dominant hen away on the chest. I don't know. I need some help to see if this is bullying or something I need to treat. Sorry for the book of a post, I just like to be detailed. Here's a pic. (Look at the back of her comb.) Thanks so much everyone!! [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Melovechickens

Feb 7, 2017
    I'm very new to chickens and I really don't want my babies to get some disease or something because I had a Japanese Bantam die from liver failure and I'm just so scared now. Sorry if this seems stupid because I know many people with like dying chickens.

3. Melovechickens

Feb 7, 2017
    This same chicken still has some white on her comb. I don't know if it's a dry comb or something I should be afraid about. I'm wondering what I should look for. I know that it isn't Avian Pox because there are no actual dots that project from her comb. Her comb is just white looking and paler than my Orpington and Sex-Link. Please someone help me!!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    White skin on the comb and wattles can be a sign of dry skin or healing skin that has been pecked. Favus, a fungal infection, can cause white chaulky patches. But that doesn't appear to be favus. I would use some coconut oil or A and D oinmtment to moisterize the while skin. Miconozole (monistatin7) and chlortrimazole (lotrimin) are used to treat favus if you think it is that. I have had roosters who have pecked each others' combs, and they have that type of white skin after the black or brown scabs have faded. Also when chickens are in a molt, their combs can be white and scaly.

5. Melovechickens

Feb 7, 2017
    Thanks so much Eggcessive!! I will definitely try this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by