Little bitty egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by caviesnchickens, Nov 17, 2009.

1. caviesnchickens

caviesnchickens New Egg

Nov 17, 2009
    Hi All, I had a chicken lay a crazy small egg this morning. Would it hatch if I put it in the bator ? I have a picture of it. It was laid by an Americauna it appears. I`ll see if I can attach the picture. I`m not the worlds most computer literate ![​IMG]

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Most likely not. Usually these eggs are missing either yolk or white. Even if they aren't I'd bet anything that started to grow would quit by day 10. If not the odds are it would either be deformed, run out of space in the egg, or be too weak to hatch from it's small size and lack of "food" in the egg. Way too many things stacked against an egg like that ever producing a healthy chick.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:If it is super tiny it's probably a "fairy" egg. They're also know as wind or fart eggs, these eggs typically have no yolk or just a trace of yolk and won't hatch. They're not indicitive of any problem with the hen that laid them, just a glitch in the system.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by