Little black bugs in coop

OliviaB

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 10, 2014
We felt itchy every time we went in the coop for a week or so. We have 45 1 week old meat birds in coop, 2 baby turkeys and 15 layers. Yesterday after coming out of coop a small black bug like the size of pepper was on my husband. So I went into coop and saw LOTS of bugs all over the door of the coop. So we got poultry and garden dust and put that everywhere and sprayed the chickens with a natural spray and cleaned the coop. My garden is right next to the coop do you think the garden will be ok to eat the veggies? How long should we throw away eggs? How long should my three small children stay away from coop? When should I dust again? Mites right? How often should we treat with dust, we don't want them back again. So disgusted!!!! I don't want these to come into my home..

You should be ok. The garden will be alright. No longer "organic" but still just fine.

If you are using sevin you can dust again if you feel the need in 5-7 days. I would throw out any eggs for 14 days after last dusting. If you are using an organic bugger like DE there is no need to discard any eggs.

I wouldn't think kids would be in any danger but even I avoid bugs. Just sayin.

I don't think they are mites. Something else it sounds like. Are they flees?

Wish ya the best.

We didn't get any on garden so do you think it's still organic? Do you think big are in garden?
I don't know what kind of bug do you know? Little black bug and tons of them?
How long after I dusted will it take for them to go away?
The dust is from tractor supply called garden and poultry dust so I don't know if it's that name you said what is that sevin or de? I have no idea I'm new to this.
Thank you so much for the help!! I need it for piece of mind.

We didn't get any on garden so do you think it's still organic? Do you think big are in garden?...
Your Garden is still organic if you wish it to be.

Sounds like you got Northern Fowl Mites, Gray Mites, Red Mites, or Roost Mites. Don't sweat the name, its the same pest. Permethrin kills mites like gang busters and it is an organic pesticide. Mix about a teaspoon full per quart of kerosene and spray and or paint it on the wooden roost poles, and any cracks or wood joints in the coop, pen, or run.

Didn't want to start a new post. I have the little black bugs too.
I sprayed the coop with 2/3 oz Permethrin to 1/2 gal water.
I did not spray the chickens. I have 4 day old chicks.
After spraying coop went in garage, stripped.....
zipped thru house showered and shampooed.
I have found the "possibly mites" in my house now.
I mixed up some alcohol, witch hazel, eucalyptus oil a little lemon, melaleuca and lavender essential oils. House smells good. Sprayed myself too. Hope this works.
Any other suggestions. I am a stage 4 cancer patient so don't want to use strong stuff on me.
Guess I will start a new post too, just in case someone else reads it.
Thanks for any help. Linda

Back
Top Bottom