little black bugs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Myriam, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Myriam

Myriam Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2012
    I looked at my chicken feed after two months and found tons of little black (easy squeezable about the size of - that little line) bugs in there, even though I kept it covered in a plastic container. Now I'm not sure if I can still feed it to the chickens or if I have to get rid of it, any ideas? thanks!

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Chicken's live for bugs. Why throw it out? You can throw the container in the freezer and it will kill the bugs but call me cheap, I'd still feed it.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    As long as the food is not moldy or rotten, it shouldn't hurt the chickens to feed it to them, chickens eat bugs all the time. The only thing that might concern me is the food probably is no longer nutritionally what it was, so don't know that I would want to feed it as their only diet for a long time. How much do you have left, assume if you have had it two months you can't return it? If you don't want to toss it, I'd freeze the feed with the bugs in it and just mix it with feed from a new bag.
    http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/pantrypests304.shtml might be able to figure out what you have.

4. Myriam

Myriam Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2012
    alright.. thanks Kelsie for the website, I have to take a closer look at the bugs and compare them, thanks to you both! I want to make sure they aren't mites or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by