1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

little black chick in the back

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by smjshipley, Oct 18, 2016.

1. smjshipley

smjshipley Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    Seabrook SC
    she has a black beak and no yellow on her head, I have two maran chicks, but this one doesn't have feathered legs, legs are black with pink on toes, I have two others with yellow on their heads and pink beans that I think are black jersey Giants?[​IMG]

2. Gwynevere

Gwynevere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    OK, I did some digging and I think I have two possibilities for you. It could be a black leghorn, or it could be a black sex link. I think that (depending on where you got them from) the black sex link is more likely, it fits with your description better (its hard to actually see the chick, the picture isn't very good). If your other chicks have yellow on the tops of their heads then they probably aren't Back Jersey Giants? Black Jersey Giants tend to have a lot of yellow in their coats as babies. If they have a little yellow stripe or spot right on top of their head with almost no yellow anywhere else then they are probably Barred Plymouth Rocks. Hope that helps!

1 person likes this.
  3. smjshipley

Feb 25, 2016
    Seabrook SC
    thank you!! they do have yellow bellies too, guess we will be able to tell when they get their feathers haha, I should take a better pic away from the light, but I was trying to get them side by side hahaha

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Too many possibilities. A lot of breeds are black as chicks.

1 person likes this.
  5. Gwynevere

Apr 24, 2014
    If they have yellow bellies too then they might be jersey giants. Google pics of Jersey Giant babies and compare

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Black Australorps ???

1 person likes this.
  7. smjshipley

Feb 25, 2016
    Seabrook SC
    [​IMG]
    Here's a better pic of her

8. Gwynevere

Apr 24, 2014
    Well she's pretty adorable. I think she still might be a black leghorn or a black sex link.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by