Little black fras looking stuff in my PDZ?

Redbud55

Songster
6 Years
Jan 1, 2018
I thought I’d ask the experts...I’ve had chickens for 10 years, but I can’t determine what I’m looking at. I have 20 three month old chicks in a huge coop. I’m using a poop board with PDZ for the first time. I always have used a board, but not with PDZ. The last few days, I’m seeing little black fras looking stuff in it. I keep checking the birds, but I’m not seeing any mites or lice... now what?

Just a thought, have you checked your chickens at night while roosting? I believe certain mites only come out at night to feed on the birds. Hope you get it figured out! Good for you for paying attention!
Thanks. I looked at feathers on quite a few birds, but didn’t see anything. I’m going out there tonite. They just don’t show signs of anything! But, I’ll keep digging. Thanks!

Thanks. I looked at feathers on quite a few birds, but didn’t see anything. I’m going out there tonite. They just don’t show signs of anything! But, I’ll keep digging. Thanks!
There are lots of threads about mites. The other thing is take a piece of paper towel with you and wipe the bottom sides of the roosts to look for blood streaks. I’ve seen that in almost every mite post I’ve read. I’m not an educator here I just read their posts. And remember about 1%! :gigGood luck!

I agree. I use a headlamp when inspecting my birds after they roost so I have both hands free to inspect them, and also take a paper towel and rub along on and under the roost and see if there are any smears on it. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom