Little Black Hen. Unknown Breed.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by IsaacK, Aug 17, 2016.

1. IsaacK

IsaacK Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    Told shes about 3 years old. She lays a light pinkish brown egg of average size. Shes smaller than an Orpington, but not anywhere near as small as a bantam. Her feet are black and without feathering of any kind.

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Probably an Australorp.

3. IsaacK

Jul 4, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    I will have to look them up. Haven't had them before. One odd thing I noticed is that she is so quiet. I watched her lay an egg and she never made so much as a peep before, during, or after. Shes really pretty. Shes black, but the black is actually so dark its actually iridescent. :)

4. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd never had Aussies until this last year. I've been very impressed how great they are as layers. This girl is older, so she probably won't be really churning out the eggs, but she'll probably give say 4 a week or so. Mine are so calm, very drama-free and get along with everyone else in the flock.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Seems like your rooster is enjoying her too much. I bet she would love to have a hen apron so her back could heal.

6. IsaacK

Jul 4, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    I just got her not even 2 days ago. Shes already getting pin feathers coming in though. :-(

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  7. IsaacK

Jul 4, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    Are they smaller than the other Orpingtons though? She significantly smaller than the Buff Orp. We just got with her. Friendly little thing. Cant waitt o see how she looks feathered out after eating higher protein feed and treats.

I wasn't sure she would lay at all, but my son didnt have a black chicken yet, and she was being picked on so she came home with us. Not even 2 days, and she already laid an egg for us today. :)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  8. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My Aussies are on the smaller size, but so are most of my hatchery birds when compared to breeder quality. I guess mine are about the same size as my Rocks and sex links.

9. Olivers poultry

Olivers poultry Just Hatched

Black Austrolorp or a very dark bluebelle hen, what colour eggs does she lay?

10. IsaacK

Jul 4, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    One of these two are hers. The darker one has dark flecks. The lighter one as white flecks. I think it was the lighter one that was hers, but not sure.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by